En el Encanto me quedo: “Encanto” movie review

Walking out of the theater on Thanksgiving morning, proudly sporting a sombrero vueltiao and a family chattering excitedly in Spanish in tow, it is safe to say that no Disney film will ever make me feel the same way “Encanto” did. Despite the light chill in the air, I was so full of warmth and love I simply couldn’t stop smiling.  

Like many South American countries, Colombia hasn’t had the best form of representation in popular entertainment, with the biggest stories that often get caught in the Hollywood limelight being those centered around the cartel, Narcos or the guerilla. While that is all certainty a significant part of Colombian history, and those stories do have their place, it does little to show how beautiful, diverse and purely magical Colombia and its people are. It was often disheartening growing up constantly searching for anything in entertainment relating to Colombia that didn’t feature Narcos or the cartel, claiming any ambiguously Latino character as Colombian in an effort to see myself and my family reflected in the stories I loved. To say that I cried upon seeing the announcement for the film “Encanto” last year would be an understatement.  

“Encanto” follows the story of the Madrigals, a family gifted with various magical abilities living in a fantastical house nestled in the mountains of Colombia called the Encanto. Every child in the Madrigal family is given a miracle of a gift by the house, lovingly dubbed “casita” by its residents, all except Maribel, voiced by Stephanie Beatriz. As the only one in her family without a gift, Maribel struggles to find her place amongst her extraordinary relatives. That is, until the magic surrounding the Encanto and fueling her family’s abilities is in danger, and Maribel finds herself as the last hope to save her home and the magic of the Encanto. 

For the first time in my life, I was seeing not only myself on screen, but my family, my people and all of Colombia in the members of the Madrigal family and the people in their town. “Encanto” shows the side of Colombia that I and many others are in love with, the side that shows why Colombians are so proud to call this country our home, despite all the dark aspects of our history. It’s a love letter packed with the soaring notes of vallenato, warm arepas con queso, buñuelos and ajiaco, delivered by a realistic family with realistic dynamics that everyone can picture themselves in, no matter where they’re from.  

Even if you aren’t Colombian, or don’t know a lick of Spanish, I implore you to watch “Encanto.” It is a beautifully animated film with family at its core and is all the shining qualities that reminds me why Disney films hold a special place in my heart. It’s everything I’m hoping for the future of Disney to be, more exciting and heartfelt stories about cultures and people who aren’t often heard in mainstream media. There is still a long way to go but until then, find a home with the Madrigals in the Encanto.