Finding fitness: Pokémon Go exploring

Pokémon Go captivated gamers and adventure seekers from all over the world during 2016 and remains to be an app that is interactive and caters to investigating. The gameplay allows players to explore and experience a world range of activities in real-time. When it comes to traveling to PokéStops, locating gyms to take over or even exploring places to catch Pokémon.  

All of these activities take effort and time and require going the literal distance to achieve goals and higher ranking. The best way to plan out how to accomplish things in the game is by performing actions that will increase your skill in order to excel.  

Such as using the map to see where the exact distance and location is of  PokéStops, gyms and Pokémon. This caters to my everyday life well because I am always on campus, where locations like this are all around.  

For example, within the vicinity of the University Center, there are two gyms located at Starbucks and the Shark Fountain. It takes time to get to these places depending on where you are. The gyms are very useful because you can battle other Pokémon and leave them to level up. 

Depending on where you start, there are other gyms even further than that which require more walking, such as the gym at the Medicinal Garden. There are even PokéStops to receive incentives along the way like poke balls, potions and stickers. Not to mention, while walking and going on your journey to these spots around campus, there is always Pokémon around to capture.. 

One thing I found helpful is using the health app on my phone to track my daily steps to keep me accountable and motivate. Playing the game has allowed me to progress my exercise goals while keeping track of my heart rate, and other aspects of gaining further movement. 

I have had adventures that took a sweat out of me just to beat Pokémon or place them in a gym to receive coins. One encounter that I managed to find myself in was going from the residential side of campus to DeSantis with one of my friends in the evening just to play Pokémon GO.  

In retrospect it is a large distance to travel when walking and even at times running around campus. Yet, it gave me a supplementary workout and allowed me to do what I love; catch cute Pokémon and get defeated by NPCs.