I’ve already paid tuition, why do I have to pay for my degree?

The price that students must pay to receive a college education is higher than it has ever been in the United States, but the price at which students must pay to graduate after paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to Nova Southeastern University also seems to be skyrocketing. 

The money students spend to live on-campus at NSU alone is enough for me to run away and start a brand-new life, so the fact that I have to pay $100 just to apply for my degree–and they can reject me and make me reapply–and then pay more money for commencement ceremony fees, specialty cap and gowns, degree frames and other graduation gear is ridiculous. Now, I know you could argue that not all of that is necessary. After all, the class rings that cost several thousand dollars and the cap and gown that also cost a pretty penny to buy aren’t necessary to graduate. You do have the option of getting no class regalia and renting your cap and gown. 

However, graduating students have made precious memories at NSU, and many of them want those special keepsakes to remember their time spent there. It isn’t fair that only those who can afford to drop additional thousands of dollars get to enjoy those spoils after their hard work during college.  

Even if you don’t want a class ring or to keep your wizard-esque robes from graduation, it is still ridiculous that you have to pay $100 to apply for your degree. In fact, I’ve had several people tell me that they won’t even look at your application until you pay the $100, in addition to any other fines you have that are outstanding with the university. This not only delays plans for students but puts students with lower incomes or who may be paying their own way through university at a disadvantage.  

Graduating college and transitioning into the next steps of adult life, whatever that may look like, it is stressful enough. Adding the stress of paying any outstanding balances and more fees just to apply for a piece of paper that you’ve already spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on is just downright cruel. It may be standard practice, but it makes every university who puts the practice in place look money-hungry instead of student-centered. I’ve enjoyed my time at NSU immensely, but please NSU, I’ve already paid tuition. I don’t want to pay $100 more.