Senior duo Rivera and Quaye say goodbye to NSU soccer

On Oct. 26, senior defenders Juan Rivera and Alvin Quaye played their final match in NSU uniforms. Although both acknowledged that this was a tough season on the field, they said they were thankful for the memories and opportunities NSU has provided them throughout their careers.

“The past four years, you grow to become a family, spending so much time with [the team] on and off the field. That’s probably most [what] we’re going to miss,” said Rivera.

Head Coach Giuseppe DePalo, said both players have come a long way, and he is going to miss them.

“[Rivera] is as good as you’re going to find in terms of left backs in the Sunshine State Conference, and [Quaye] is always playing with a smile on his face and could tackle with the best of them,” he said.

DePalo said he has been just as impressed with them off the field.

He said, “First and foremost, [they’re] outstanding people. [They’re] two great guys — role models, just good people willing to help out.”

Quaye, an Arsenal fan, and Rivera, a Real Madrid fan, said they will pursue careers in soccer beyond NSU.

Quaye said, “I hope I can play soccer. I’m going to try out for some teams. Hopefully something happens. If not, the great thing [is], I learned a lot here at NSU. I’ve got an education, [and] I’ve got some degrees, so I’ll be in a good position to get a job if I don’t
play soccer.”

Whether it was traveling to Italy with the team their sophomore year or defeating Lynn in a penalty shootout in the quarterfinals of the 2009 conference tournament, Quaye and Rivera said they will treasure these moments for the rest of their lives.