NSU softball finishes fall training

Softball wrapped up its fall training on Nov. 8. With ten new recruits, the team is hoping to improve from last season’s 32-20 record when it begins its season on Feb. 1.

Head Coach Lesa Boneé said she wants more depth from the players this season, and that’s why she had such a large recruiting class.

“At the end of the day, we just want good student-athletes — somebody who’s going to perform well in the classroom, buy into our program, [know] what it means to be a Shark and perform on the field.”

By having 19 players, the team has the unique ability of holding inter-squad scrimmages, and Boneé likes this.

“Carrying a roster of 19, we did several inter-squad scrimmages,” she said. “I’m so excited that we can do that now that we have enough numbers.”

Laura Saladrigas, junior utility player, led the conference in RBIs last season. She said there is a specific quality in the new players that she likes.

“I like the power that everyone brings. That’s something we definitely needed. So, I think that’s something that stands out right away,” said Saladrigas.

Krista Colburn, freshman catcher, said she has enjoyed the intensity of college-level practices because it will ultimately prepare the team for the upcoming season. Colburn said softball was one of the reasons she chose to attend NSU.

“I really wanted to go into marine biology. I really liked the softball program, and coach recruited me at a camp back home in Colorado. I came on a visit, and it was love at first sight for me. I love the campus,” she said.

Boneé said she has been pleased with how the team has progressed. She said this is going to be an exciting team to watch.

Saladrigas said, “I can’t wait to just get on the field. It’s all about that feeling you get on game day. You can’t replace that feeling.”