Player of the week: Stian Berg

Sophomore Stian Berg hopes to do big things on the basketball court as he starts his collegiate career at NSU. Berg, an international student from Oslo, Norway, is no stranger to the game of basketball. He comes from a family of players. His father is the coach of the Baerum

Basket of the BLNO, the Norwegian professional basketball league.  His brother Dainiel also played in the U.S., at the New York Institute of Technology (NYIT) for four seasons.

Before coming to the U.S., Berg played for his father’s team at Baerum Basket. Helping Baerum finish with a 19-11 record and a national championship in 2010-2011season.  Berg averaged 10.8 points, 2.4 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game.

He was named to the Norwegian Under-20 National Team for the 2011 Division B European Championships and averaged 13.6 points and 2.9 rebounds per game. Berg attended Norges Toppidretts Gymnas the Norwegian College of Elite Sport.

In his first year of playing basketball in the U.S., Berg transferred at the behest of NSU Basketball Coaches, Gary Tuell and Brandon Crone who recruited him from Northern Illinois University. There Berg made 30 appearances, including 13 starts – averaging 3.7 points, eighth-best among Mid-American Conference (MAC) freshmen, and 0.9 rebounds while playing 17.1 minutes per game.

I sat down with Berg and asked him a few questions:

What do you love about the game of basketball?
When I was very young I always remember being around basketball because my dad was a coach. So, I pretty much grew up in the game. I love the complexity, the speed and performing for the crowd.

Who are your favorite professional basketball players?
The legendary John Stockton played for the Utah Jazz. Steve Novak the new point guard for the Lakers and, my personal favorite Carmelo Anthony of the N.Y Knicks.

What’s your favorite NBA team?
I am a committed Knicks fan till the day I die.

What is the best and worst part of being an international player?
In Norway the competition in basketball is not at a great level and the lack of school basketball doesn’t help that either. That, I would consider to be the worst part. The best part is that I get to play for the national team and, in certain countries, like Spain and Italy, basketball has become very popular.
What are your hopes for the future in basketball?
My biggest hope is to play for the Norwegian national team at international tournaments and maybe the Olympics in 2016.  I also hope to play professionally either in the NBA or internationally.