“Where Oh Where” is Public Safety?

Quick, someone just broke into your car and you need to go to Public Safety to report it. Where is it? Don’t know? You’re not alone.

Student’s safety on campus should be NSU’s biggest priority. Part of student safety is knowing where to find help when you need it. Last week when I lost something very important to me, I went to the side of the Parker building, where public safety was located last year, and it was gone. There was no sign and, not so much as a phone number to call.

There are many reasons students should know where Public Safety is – reporting crimes like theft or vandalism, reporting threats to campus or personal safety and even reporting missing items or returning found items.

But, instead of finding the public safety office last week, I found an abandoned building. I actually stood there for a few minutes gawking at where the entrance used to be because I couldn’t find the buzzer. I even asked a couple of people who worked in the Parker building and they couldn’t tell me where it had gone.

Campus safety is important and there should be, at least, an announcement that tells students where the new location is. Similar to the NSU is now a non-smoking campus initiative, maybe a flyer, e-mail, or big posters around campus that could have announced the move ahead of time and the change in location.

If you go to the public safety page on NSU’s website a phone number is listed, but there is no address or directions to the office.  After my failed attempts to locate the Public Safety, I finally called the office and found out it was located past University Park Plaza on SW 36th St, (when coming from University Dr.). Even though this is consider on campus, it is a considerable distance to get there if you needed to get their quickly.
While I did eventually find out where the office is, I have yet to see it. The office of public safety may be the best kept secret on campus. Now, doesn’t that make you feel safe?