Staff Picks, Sept. 25, 2018

The Current has spent the past week welcoming some new staff members— get to know the names behind the articles a little better by finding out what our career goals are after we graduate from NSU.

Madelyn Rinka, co-editor-in-chief,

“I’m not exactly sure what I want to do in the future. Right now, I’m a sophomore environmental science major, and I have minors in anthropology and GIS. I’m really interested in natural resources, photography, geology, archaeology, writing and more. I don’t know if I’ll find a way to combine everything, but I’m planning on using up the rest of my time here at NSU to hopefully find out what I want to do for the rest of my life.”

Christina McLaughlin, co-editor-in-chief,

“My future goals are not fully set in stone. I’m a sophomore environmental science major with minors in international law and writing so there are many venues I’m exploring. I would be interested in writing for National Geographic or another similar science based magazine. But, I do have a strong interest in educating the public about conservation and making changes in policies that can help the environment in the future. I’m not exactly sure where those interests land me in terms of a career path but for now, I’m exploring my options and as long as I can be involved in the environment and promote change for the better, I’m happy.”

Mario Lorrimer, business manager,

“My ultimate goal one day is to be a business owner. That is why I am getting my bachelors in business management. I want to spread love and compassion through my business. I believe everyone should be treated fairly. I want to build a business that equally cares for their customers and employees. A company that understands the daily struggles of the average person, while providing an environment of growth and encouragement. It is my dream that one day people can see past hate and work together for a brighter future.”

Carli Lutz, chief of visual design,

“I really want to be an art teacher and an art professor down the road— preferably focusing on graphic design, which is my major— and illustration. Ever since I was little, I’ve wanted to be a teacher. I’d set up my stuffed animals and teach them lessons about drawing and making crafts. I want to be able to teach art because I looked up to my art teacher in elementary school a lot and I’d love to be like her one day and inspire a whole new generation of young people to make art that means something to them.”

Alexandra Herlihy, sports editor,

“As a marine biology major, my future career will obviously be related to the ocean. Since my freshman year of high school, I have always wanted to study sharks. It wasn’t until junior year at a college visit where I found out I wanted to do shark tagging. I want to tag and study Shortfin Mako sharks specifically, with my studies going towards shark conservation and fining prevention. In the long run, I hope to be on Shark Week to help stop the shark finning trade.”

Emma Heineman, features editor,

“I am currently a freshman political science major here at NSU. I hope to pick up a few minors or even a double major. In the future, I plan on attending law school and pursuing a career in a law related profession; however, I have lots of other interests and plan to use my time here at NSU to explore new and exciting things.”

Kathleen Crapson, visual design assistant,

“As someone in the creative industry, sometimes people try to stifle you into a box. Your only two options seem to be: get your degree in education so you can be an art teacher, or become a graphic designer because that’s where the money is. So, I did what any sensible artist does, and became a graphic design major. Art history and art administration were also part of my curriculum, and I found myself wanting to make that my career. I am intrigued by the intersection of creativity, art history and business. After graduating, I want to work in a museum. Most importantly, I want to do something that I love, and manage to make a living out of it.”

Alexander Martinie, editor,

“For years, I knew that I wanted to go into some graduate programs. For a while I thought that I would choose the law school, but medical and scientific studies are more in line with my interests. I am a freshman biology major, and after undergrad, I plan on going to medical school. After medical school, I will do my residency with a specialization in psychiatry.”

Kelsey Bruce, arts and entertainment editor,

“Wherever my life ends up,  I want helping other people to be part of it.  As a communication sciences and disorders major, I intend to become a speech-pathologist, and I will focus my work on providing either transgender patients or developmentally delayed children with voice therapy.”

Skylyr VanDerveer, multimedia manager,

“As a communications major, there are plenty of choices when it comes to jobs. I would love to be able to do crisis management public relations. It seems like it would be something different everyday, which I know I would love. I get bored easily so doing something different everyday would be more than ideal.”