The new Winx Saga is a must-see

“Fate: Winx Saga” is a new series on Netflix created after the original Winx Club show, and both series are incredibly well made in their own way. In both “Fate: Winx Saga” and Winx Club, the main character, Bloom, discovers she is a fairy and is trying to control her fire powers. “Fate: Winx Saga” has made their own version of the beloved Nickelodeon show, but the writers still try to include things from the original.

Overall, the series is great and appeals to the audience that the creators are targeting, which are both new viewers and old fans. Most of the people that would and are watching the show have watched the original when they were younger. 

However, there has been controversy with some aspects of the new series. There is no transformation from civilian to fairy and the personalities of the characters are different. Where are the witches and where are the wings? It was a little upsetting to see the creators throw away some of the best parts of the original series and watch what they came up with instead. 

Brian Young, the creator of “Fate: Winx Saga” changed the show in order to appeal to an older audience, and while some viewers might miss the nostalgic aspects, I cannot help but praise him. The amount of plot twists and drama the show emulates is truly amazing.

One of the best things about the original Winx Club was the diversity of the characters in the series. The original show represented many different ethnicities. 

However, the new series is whitewashed. The cast of “Fate: Winx Saga” has only a Black girl and a gay Black man.  

It is wonderful that Winx Saga included the LGBTQ community but according to many LGBTQ+ viewers, the show is still painfully heteronormative and ends up casting out the only gay character. 

In the show when Dane is being bullied for being gay, instead of showing the struggles he is having, he becomes friends with his bully. The show also replaced Flora, originally a Latina teenager with Terra, a plus-sized teenager. I am Latina and would have liked to see my culture being represented in the show, but I also could not help but fall in love with Terra. I see myself in Terra as I am a plus sized woman myself. Some of the things that Terra experiences in the show I experience on a daily basis: insecurities, discomfort and feeling of unworthiness and a bit of self-hate. 

Brain Young took advantage of the chance of gaining a wider audience and represented a lot of people in the show, and although many fans were upset by his choices in representing different races, ethnicities and sexual orientations, “Fate: Winx Saga” is still a must-see.