NSU alumna releases third book centered around self-care

Writing is the very essence of self-expression and allows us to describe our feelings in one of the healthiest ways. Self-care tailors to this same concept because it allows us to grow and heal from past experiences and things we struggle with.  

Flor Ana Mireles graduated from NSU in 2021 and is a self-published poetry writer whose third book, “Nourish your temple, embrace your glow” exemplifies self-care in the best way. Her poetry style is based on connection and genuine descriptions of spirituality.   

Mireles stated her vision behind writing her third book as a token to her sister and the rest of the world.  

“My sister gifted me this oracle deck, and I really wanted to make this for her, cause she’s not super into poetry, but I feel like it was just a little touch that I could share with her and with everyone else out there in the world,” said Mireles  

Using acts of self-care was also a huge part of a ritual that was carried out in her book.   

“I would pick an oracle card today randomly and then do that self-care ritual or act and then I would use the inspiration from actually using self-care to write a poem about it,” Mireles said. 

These acts help further the transformation of wanting to be a stronger person and having a clear mindset to fully love yourself. Small steps to help evolve who you are builds character and Mireles in a way has mastered that aspect of her life.   

“I’ve definitely been using self-care and trying to have more self-love for a while now. It really took off while I was a sophomore at [NSU],” Mireles stated.  

“I just started journaling a lot and taking time to figure myself out. Then, there was a time period where I got really into spiritual acts of self-care,” she added. 

It takes time to develop a certain lifestyle and pathway to pursue healthy ways to improve your life, and self-care has tied into her spirality, which has been one of the motivating factors for creating her books.   

Mireles shares powerful work from a poem in her novel titled “Nourish your temple.”  

“The universe has conspired in such a way with all of the cosmos to create you. So please don’t see yourself as anything other than beautiful, deserving and absolutely magical. I mean the chances alone of being alive traveling through time and space on a blue-green-gorgeous floating rock, spinning at roughly 1,000 miles per hour, should be enough to keep you grateful and giddy at just the thought of being human – flaws, experiences and all.” 

The overall insights of Mireles’s work are captivating and share a positive light on deep meaningful moments of how she views herself, and how she wants others to view themselves.   

Self-love and self-care are important aspects of our life that should be treated with the most care in the world, because we are capable of doing and being so many beautiful things.