Freshman Runner Making Great Strides

The first race of an athlete’s college career can be a daunting affair, but for freshman runner Alexandria Palm it was a dream come true. After an outstanding performance in her inaugural race, the Sunshine State Conference named Palm Runner of the Week on Sept. 7.

Palm is a native of Winnebago, Ill., who took the experience in her long stride and looked very comfortable at the collegiate level. The Sharks finished third overall in the five kilometer race at the King of the Hill Elite NCAA Invitational. In a field littered with NCAA Division 1 runners, Palm finished second overall, just 41 seconds behind University of Miami’s Brooke Alli Dovell.

Palm was shocked and excited after being named SSC Runner of the Week.

“I was very excited because I wasn’t expecting it. I didn’t even know that it existed to be honest,” she said.

During the race, Palm relied on hard work, determination and smart running to succeed.

“I just raced as hard as I could that given day,” said Palm. “I passed as many girls as I could and tried to race the new course as smart as possible.”

Women’s cross country added  seven freshman to the roster. The transition into becoming a college athlete has been an exciting process for Palm.

“I love living at NSU,” said Palm “Being on the team made the first couple of weeks a lot easier because you immediately had friends and people who were going through the same changes you were.”

Head coach Bryan Hagopian said Palm will only improve from her impressive debut.

“I think that she is going to be a great runner in this conference and she will break a lot of school records,” said Hagopian. “This is giving her the self confidence she needs to have her hit the next level.”

Hagopian attributes Palms success to her intelligent running and believes that she must continue to work hard in practice in order to maintain her high level of performance.

Teammate and fellow freshman Brittaney Smash said it was Palm’s energy and desire to run that really got everyone pumped up.

“She took command and showed Tampa that NSU has some good runners coming for them,” said Smash.