Diary of…An international student

Timothy Kimuli, junior legal studies major, is the leader of African Affairs in the Student Coalition for Human Rights. He is also a member of the Gay-Straight Student Alliance and participated in the gay pride march last year with the Broward Human Rights Initiative. His interests include going to the beach, socializing, working out at the gym, reading, going on road trips, surfing the Internet and eating tons of American cheese. He plans to attend law school and work for human rights and the environment.

Growing up in a suburb in a small, shanky and deprived town, all dreams are null and void. I played with several kids, mingled and got myself in trouble with unfriendly neighbors. Theft and crime, robbery and childhood mistreatment were the norm. This was my life growing up in Uganda, a country in east Africa known as much for its beautiful scenery as for its discrimination against gays and its political turmoil. In school, bullying, teachers’ heavy beatings, plus the mental and emotional harm involved weighed heavily on me as a 7-year-old.

By 2008, I was in a 50,000-student college in Kampala, the capital. Makerere University is one of the biggest universities in central and eastern Africa. Unlike NSU, the use of textbooks and interaction with professors is not possible because classes have 250 students. Materials in Ugandan universities are taught  by professors reading the notes to students who then write them down word for word. This system is so dependent on the professor that one cannot comprehend class materials without the instructor being there.

It is different in America with strong teacher-student relationships, a calm environment, reliable alliances along the way, and a massive library. Students feel their destiny is in their hands to seize or thrust away. There are also several opportunities for growth in clubs, sports and Greek societies to mention a few. As a student, I have taken advantage of these to improve myself and become more outgoing.

As a member in several clubs, human connections have been the best part of my involvement in social groups. As a member of the Student Coalition for Human Rights and the Gay-Straight Student Alliance, interacting with others fills me with joy every day. As member of Delta Epsilon Iota, I feel close to like-minded people who are out to make an impact beyond their studies. The future is only brighter.