On the Scene: How would you feel if Florida decided to allow guns on campus?

A proposed law by members of the Texas State House would allow students over 21 and faculty to carry concealed handguns on campus. Utah and Colorado also passed bills to allow guns on campus in their states.  If Florida were to pass such a law, NSU would not have to comply since it’s a private institution. How would you feel if Florida decided to allow guns on campus?

“It’s a constitutional right to defend yourself in today’s world. The only way you can reasonably defend yourself is by carrying a concealed weapon.” Ayelet Faerman, first-year law student

“I feel like it would give an excuse for violence when we have a perfectly good public safety program that could be utilized instead of weapons.” Brittany Schemtob, sophomore biology major

“I don’t see how it can benefit education. I feel if safety is a concern, it should be handled by a trained police force.” Dedrix Daka, third-year optometry student

“I would feel very threatened, and I would be scared to have a confrontation with anybody.” Ceren Balta, junior psychology major

“I don’t think it would serve any purpose.  It would do more harm than good.  You can’t solve violence by feeding more guns into society.” Schafic Wahab, first-year law student

“I would feel a bit uncomfortable.  Just the idea of everyone and their mothers walking around campus with guns is like an increased chance of incidents and accidents happening.” Jonathan Clerge, sophomore computer science major