My words to NSU women’s basketball 2nd edition

Five wins in a row. That’s right. Your Lady Sharks are on quite the roll. They’re not only winning, they are taking names.

On Nov. 19, they faced Concordia-St. Paul in what proved to be a rollercoaster ride. This game had me on the edge of my seat as NSU saw their 17 point lead disappear, and the game ended up going to overtime.

Now, in my last column, I mentioned that Jessica Russi, sophomore guard, is my new favorite player. Well, it was Russi who drilled the biggest shots of the game. Russi opened up overtime with a pair of three-point shots, and Meixandra Porter, junior guard, helped secure the victory by scoring seven more points.

Both Russi and Porter recorded a double-double in that game. Russi had 19 points and 11 rebounds while Porter had 16 points and 10 assists.

The next three games weren’t nearly as dramatic as NSU walked away with comfortable victories, one of which was a 53 point blowout.

Porter and Danielle Robinson, freshman guard, are proving to be all-around great players. They can easily create their own shot as well as for others, while having the range to drain three-point shots on a regular basis.

Jasmine Wilkins, sophomore forward, has been a monster in transition. She does a tremendous job of running the court, and there’s no stopping her when she gets a full head of steam.

Senior Guards Quinessa Johnson and Jessica Walter are the quintessence of the word effort. They have come up with key steals and have sacrificed their bodies to draw charges game after game.

Ladies, congratulations on the five game winning streak. You truly are playing a great brand of basketball. For the NSU community, if you haven’t been to one of their games yet, you are missing out.