Coach Boneé earns 500th victory

On Feb. 25, the softball team defeated Young Harris 6-3 in what turned out be a historic victory for head coach, Lesa Boneé. This win marked her 500th victory as a head coach at the collegiate level.

Following her milestone, several of Boneé’s colleagues around the country sent her congratulatory emails. She said she loved receiving recognition from her peers.

“It’s a personal and professional accomplishment. I’m just thankful that I’ve had the opportunity to be around and work with so many good student athletes,” she said.

Assistant coach, Robin Martin, said Boneé’s 500th victory indicates that her system is proven to work. She said, “She has created something very special within this program and expects excellence from her student-athletes day in and day out. Her no-nonsense philosophy has created an atmosphere of consistency, discipline and the necessary buy-in to succeed. 500 is a big number. She’s doing something right.”

Winning a conference championship and coming from behind to defeat the number two team in the nation, while she was at Southern Wesleyan, were two of her most memorable victories. Boneé said her 500th victory was right up there as well.

“Number 500 was a good win for me,” said Boneé. “Young Harris jumped out ahead; we came back. We battled back. We did some good things. That was a really good win in the fashion that we won it because we had to battle and we had to come back. I’ll always remember 500 as a really good game that we came back on and we battled.”

Boneé said she hopes her next big accomplishment will be to win a conference championship.

“I would absolutely love to win a conference championship here at NSU. I love NSU and I love working here. I would just absolutely love for our program to win a conference championship,” she said.