NSU baseball: A team to follow

Who doesn’t love a successful team one can follow, identify with, and support? Members of the NSU community, I’m about to tell you why our baseball team is that team.

When I think of this year’s baseball team I automatically think of an explosive offense, and for good reason. As of March 19, the team leads the conference in batting average, on base percentage, slugging percentage, home runs, and walks. This lineup has been demolishing opponents and even put up 20 runs in a victory.

Although the entire team is strong, I’m going to highlight a few players to keep an eye on. Senior outfielder, A.J. Regoli, has been hitting the ball with authority as he leads the conference in home runs and slugging percentage. Who needs electricity when this guy is supplying the power?

Next up is sophomore second baseman, Carlos Asuaje, who leads the conference in on base percentage and has the second highest batting average. He practically lives on the base paths.

Did you know that head coach, Greg Brown, was a scout for the Houston Astros prior to coming here? If someone has the ability to recognize talent and skill, it’s this guy. I believe his experience as a big league scout will and has helped him when it comes to recruiting. If I’m being recruited by a former MLB scout, I’m going to feel pretty good about myself because he knows what it takes to succeed at the highest level.

By supporting the baseball team, you might just have the opportunity to see some potential MLB prospects. It’s possible some of these guys might be the next J.D. Martinez or Mike Fiers. It would be pretty awesome to say, “I saw him play when he was at NSU.” Just something to think about.