Must See Movies on SUTV 96

Car chases, hunger games, and….lace dollies? If like most students, you spent your summer break away from NSU campus, you missed out on Channel 96’s summer movie line-up. Fortunately for all the movie buffs out there, Channel 96 has introduced a new On Demand program, allowing students to watch last month’s movies whenever they want online.

In honor of this tantalizingly new movie buffet, we’ll take a look at three movies – one currently on the On Demand website, the other showing this month on Channel 96, and the third scheduled to air on Channel 96 this September.

“Watson!” Ah, it’s good to hear Robert Downey Jr.’s witty banter as the skilled detective, Sherlock Holmes, once again. Following the successful release of the first installment in the mystery series, the sequel, “Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows” directed by Guy Ritchie, does not disappoint. In fact, it breaks the sequel stereotype in a J.K. Rowling-like fashion, and is just as good, if not better, than its predecessor.

For those who enjoyed the on-screen dynamic between Holmes and trusted ally, Dr. John Watson (Jude Law), in the first film, then you may as well purchase the sequel now as an early Christmas gift…for yourself (I did).The relationship between the duo the sequel is masterfully displayed through humor and hardship and reminds the audience why they fell in love with the series in the first place. There is an unending trail of action-packed sequences, all meticulously edited, as if by Holmes himself, to convey the drama of the scene through details such as a bead of sweat or a gunshot ringing in an ear. My only advice to those interested in watching this sequel is to watch its predecessor first, if you haven’t already. And when you have, be sure to check out the sequel on Channel 96’s On Demand site beforeit disappears.

What better way to start off the new school year than with a blast from the past? Playing this month on Channel 96 is “21 Jump Street” a remake of the 80s television series, which starred a younger, pre-pirate, Johnny Depp. I’ll be honest; my expectations were low for this film, despite hearing good reviews of Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum’s performance as two undercover cops sent back to high school to find the supplier of a lethal synthetic drug. I’m not a fan of cheap jokes and teen promiscuity (which I assumed would be the theme of the film) but, to my surprise, the comedy was entertaining and even, dare I say it, funny.

Aside from some raunchy references, directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller did a great job of letting the hilarious chemistry between Tatum and Hill shine without reaching too often for the cheap joke. A surprise cameo at the end of the film also made it worthwhile. Watch “21 Jump Street” on Channel 96 through the month of August to find out who it is.

Recently, I volunteered as tribute…to watch the popular book-turned- film, “The Hunger Games,” directed by Gary Ross. In a frenzy reminiscent of the Twilight-induced panic, Hunger Games fans anxiously awaited the first film installment of the three part series. I, on the other hand, was left out of the loop. Doing something I rarely do (please forgive me Hunger Games fans!) I watched this film without reading the novel first. However, by holding no preconceived notions of what the film should or should not be, I feel that my lack of expectations for “The Hunger Games” movie allowed me to critique it with an open mind (strictly from a cinematic standpoint).

I truly enjoyed the film. The storyline, a gladiator-esque battle taking place in a futuristic, post-apocalyptic world, is intriguing and its similarity to present day game shows is haunting. The graphic bloodbath experienced by the young competitors proves that this is no Stephenie Meyer’s sci-fi love story, but rather an intense tale of oppression, loyalty, and revolution. I’m sure those who read the book would agree. The film lacked insight into the characters’ mindsets. However, the power of the movie’s theme was in no way lost in translation. Make sure you don’t miss “The Hunger Games” airing on Channel 96 this September.