Diary of… a dancer

Walking into Nova Southeastern University, I was the typical college freshman: overly excited to begin the rest of my life in the “real world”.  Yet, I was slightly terrified that only four years separated me from life-changing decisions that would set me up for the rest of my life.   I also knew that biology was not the major for me.  I had painstakingly tried to sit through a full semester of biology classes, but I was so disinterested in anything involving science that I usually drifted off into my choreography, the music blasting inside my head.

I was going to lunch in the University Center, when I happened to notice a poster for dance auditions.  Needless to say, that was the moment that forever changed my life.  Being a part of the dance program at NSU has taught me so many things about myself.  There is a sense of family within the dance community here that I have never found anywhere else.  I have strengthened my abilities as a dancer, as a performer and as a person. New styles and techniques have pushed me beyond my limits.

Upon graduating, I plan on opening up a dance studio for children with special needs.  My professors have helped me find the perfect path to reach this goal.  I am currently a part of Karen Peterson and Dancers, a mixed-ability dance company, which offers dance classes for individuals with different special needs.  I also teach different genres of dance to children of all ages at three local studios.  With classes, work and rehearsals, my entire life revolves around dance, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.  I wake up every morning knowing that I am very fortunate.  I know that I will get to do what I love every single day for the rest of my life.