Arctic Monkeys stop monkeying around for ‘AM’

Arctic Monkeys’ latest album, “AM”, debuts a refined, mature side to the chart-topping clan of British alternative rockers.

Previous albums, such as “Suck It and See”, “Humbug”, “Favourite Worst Nightmare”, and “Whatever People Say I am, that’s what I’m not”, flaunted the band’s charmingly chaotic guitar riffs and sweet and innocent melodies. Their innocent chaos, especially evident in hits like “Florescent Adolescent” and “I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor”, attracted millions of fans and made them international alternative rock superstars.

However, with time comes maturity and with maturity comes change. This is not necessarily a bad thing; in fact, this is a great thing. After 11 years of working together, lead singer and lyricist Alex Turner, drummer Matt Helders, guitarist Jamie Cook, and bass guitarist Nick O’Malley have made beautiful progress in the form of emotionally charged lyrics and a better sense of instrumental unison.

In “Do I Want to Know?” the pulsing beat of the drum compliments lead singer and lyricist Alex Turner’s smooth-as-silk vocals spectacularly. The guitar’s soulful melody will be stuck in your head for days.
The themes embedded throughout “AM” are desire, uncertainty, and tumultuous love. Regardless of what relationship crisis is bringing you down, there is at least one song on this album that demonstrates the band’s empathy. The ambiguity of budding relationships is bluntly expressed through the first two songs of the album, “Do I Wanna Know?” and “R U Mine?”. In the former, Turner maintains his too-cool-for-you vibe, yet hints at his wavering confidence, as he sings, “I don’t know if you feel the same as I do/But we could be together if you wanted to.” The calm and composed façade crumbles further in “R U Mine?” as background vocals further question where the relationship stands. Alex Turner bravely declares what he wants from the relationship through “I Want It All” and “I Wanna Be Yours” — simply to be hers, along with all of the “blind faith”, “heartache”, “mind games”, and “mistakes” she brings along with her.

Turner also comes clean about a relationship that ended prematurely; in “Snap Out Of It”, he proudly declares, “I’ll be here waiting ever so patiently for you to/snap out of it” after his ex-girlfriend has already found love elsewhere.

Whether or not you are familiar with Arctic Monkeys, “AM” is appropriate for all occasions: jogging around campus, commuting, dancing privately in the comfort of your room, coping with rejection or a bad break up — you name it. These tunes are so catchy that refusing to sing along feels almost criminal.

The stylistic changes seen in “AM” merely hint at potential artistic capabilities, so expect even greater things from this band in the future. But one thing will never change: Arctic Monkeys will always be cooler than ice.