Meeting new opportunities

“This girl is so weird. I have nothing in common with her.”

Sound familiar? These were my thoughts when I first met Tamarra, who is now my best friend. Eventually, I realized how cool she is and how alike we are. My first impression of her was completely wrong.

I don’t think most people are aware of how often they judge someone based on appearances or make assumptions after a brief conversation. People should appreciate others’ unique beauty, not judge them for it. When I feel judged or looked at negatively, my self-esteem plummets. It is hard for people to be themselves if they feel unaccepted.

NSU is known for abundant diversity among its students and faculty. According to the U.S. Department of Education, NSU has administered more doctoral degrees to African American and Hispanic student than any other college or university in the United States. According to a 2013 College Board report, NSU’s ethnic makeup consists of around 32 percent Hispanic/Latino, 22 percent African American background, 28 percent Caucasian and 18 percent American Indian, Pacific Islander or Asian.

This diversity presents a great opportunity to meet new people from a different country, maybe somewhere you’ve never visited. A friend I recently met at NSU is from Spain and now teaches me Spanish words everyday. My interest in learning Spanish has skyrocketed and, now, my goal is to learn the whole language by the end of the year. I never thought I would develop such an interest in a different culture; my new friend has completely opened up my mind.

You should care about meeting new people because it can introduce you to a whole new culture. You can gain new experiences, new knowledge and maybe a new passion.

Being from two different ethnicities makes me appreciate many different cultures. My mom is Indian and my dad is German. At first glance, no one would ever guess this about me. My parents’ values and beliefs may clash at the dinner table at times but it doesn’t mean they judge each other for it. They respect each other’s opinions and beliefs. Whenever both of our families get together, it’s a good time.

Values and beliefs are different among people because we all come from different places. Every single person is beautiful in his and her own special way and should be treated equally. The sooner we acknowledge this, the better. There is no better person to be than yourself.