Athlete of the week: Sabrina Keirberg

“Be all you can be” is the motto of the U.S. Army, but it is also something Sabrina Keirberg, reminds herself of daily. She is a self-motivated NSU tennis player, who doesn’t have to look any further than herself for inspiration.

Kierberg, an undefeated tennis player this season, is only a sophomore but has been to all over the world. She was born in Munich, Germany and speaks English, Arabic, French and German. She was homeschooled up until college.

Kierberg moved to South Florida at the age 3, and began playing tennis a year later. Kierberg considers her parents to be her biggest supporters, but her mother, who also played tennis, is her biggest influence.

Although she started her freshman season late due to muscle injuries, she sent herself to the top singles draw, which she participated in 10 out of 13 matches and maintained a 5-5 record in the top flight.

As a psychology major, she hopes to help children who have dealt with trauma in their lives. She wants to help treat them so that they won’t have to deal with problems later in life.

Kierberg’s daily schedule seems pretty hectic, as it includes 6:15 a.m. workouts, practice, class and studying. During the off-season, she likes to hangout with friends.

Kierberg describes herself as an aggressive, yet fair, player. Her teammates claim that she can seem quite intimidating on the court. She loves to take risks and uses these perceptions to her advantage on the court to help her win.

I sat down with Keirberg to help the NSU community get to know her a little better.

What do you love about tennis?
“I like that you never know who’s going to win. You could be losing really bad and you’d always have a chance to turn it around.”

What are your strengths in tennis?
“My power and my net game.”

What would you look to improve?
“Probably my mental game. Usually when I give up on myself, I usually end up losing to anyone.”

What has been your most memorable moment in tennis?
“When I played a tournament in Florida. I’ve always made it to the final but I’ve never won. The girl I was going to play was saying that she was going to beat me easy so when I got on the court, I didn’t let her touch one ball. Then, I beat her in the final round.”

Do you have anyone you look up to in tennis for inspiration?
“I’ve always looked up to myself and try to be the best I can be.

Which out of the four major pro tournaments would you choose if you could choose to play in one of them?
“If I could, I would choose the U.S. Open.”

If you could choose, what tennis player would you play against?
“Roger Federer.”

Do you have any rituals or superstitions before a match?
“If I win, I need to have the same racket and the same string. When I play during my match, I have to use the same ball that I win with. As soon as I lose with that ball, I pick a different one because it becomes unlucky to me. I also have to eat the same thing if I win.”

What is your favorite food?
“Japanese or Korean food.”

If there was a movie about your life, who would play you?
“Jennifer Lawrence.”