Athlete of the week: Liliana Cammisa

Born and raised in Alta Gracia, a city in the province of Cordoba in Argentina, Liliana Cammisa, member of the women’s golf team and a junior sports and recreation management major, grew up next to what would eventually be her “office.”

“We lived next to a golf course and it caught my attention. When I was 4, I joined a kid’s school that they had at the course and I haven’t stopped since,” said Cammisa.

Golf wasn’t a sport that was popular in her family or even in her home country, which is typically known for soccer, but that didn’t prevent it from intriguing the young golf prospect.

Originally, the golf school tried to recruit her sister Mariana because of her age and not because of any interest she had shown. It was young Cammisa who showed the desire to attend the school, and with a little convincing, she was able to get in.

“My parents play and my sister don’t play. [The school] came to our house to see if my sister wanted to play because it was for kids 5 and over. I told them I wanted to play but they wouldn’t let me because I wasn’t old enough but then they let me,” said Cammisa.

Cammisa attended Anglo Americano de Alta Gracia School before enrolling at NSU. It was while she was playing in tournaments in America that she showed up on the radar of college scouts. NSU interested her most because of the program’s reputation and the campus’s location.

“I got recruited while I was playing in some tournaments here in the states,” said Cammisa. “I liked being in Fort Lauderdale and NSU had won three national championships before I came, and I liked the opportunity to come here and have the chance to win some tournaments.”

In 2012, she was named Women’s Golf Coaches Association Freshman of the Year and was a WGCA First-Team All-America selection. In 2013, she was also a WGCA Division II All-American Team Member and she finished 23rd overall at the NCAA Division II National Championships.

This season, Cammisa admits that she hasn’t had the best of years but that is all part of the game.

“I haven’t been too consistent. I started the season struggling a little bit with my swing so I wasn’t hitting the ball too well. It all depended on my short game. Now I would say that I’m starting to hit the ball a lot better and I feel more confident out there,” said Cammisa. “I made some swing changes that I have been working on in the past two months. I’ve been trying to improve my swing. I’ve really been trying to focus on that.”

Cammisa has been all over North and South America because of the sport she fell in love with, and she hopes that it will bring more fruitful experiences that she can look back on and reminisce about in the future.

I sat down with Cammisa to learn more about this start golfer.

What are your strengths as a golfer?
“I would say my short game. Anywhere from 100 yards in, I feel pretty confident.”

Weaknesses?
“I’m always trying to improve my putting. I feel that if I can putt better, then I have better chances of winning tournaments.”

What do you want to do after you finish college?
“Right now, I want to turn pro after college. If that doesn’t work out, then something with my degree, but golf comes first right now.”

Who is your favorite athlete?
“Roger Federer.”

Of the four major tournaments on the pro tour, which would you most like to compete in?
“The U.S. Open.”

What has been your most memorable moment playing golf?
“Winning the South American Championship with the national team in 2012.”

What is your favorite food?
“Italian, specially pasta but anything Italian I like.”

If you could play another sport at NSU, what would it be?
“I would say tennis. I played tennis when I was younger.”

What do you like to do for fun besides golf?
“I like snorkeling. I don’t get to do it too often but if I had more time, I would do it more.”

What is your favorite TV show?
“‘House of Cards.’”

If there were movie made about your life, who would play you?
“I like Sandra Bullock.”