The best BBQ in town 

Tom Jenkins’ BBQ is one of Fort Lauderdale’s best-kept secrets. I’ve asked many people if they’ve heard about Tom Jenkins’ and their answer is “Who’s that?” Though many may not know about this restaurant, the small, quaint place always seems to be running over with people.

The décor is simple and plain, similar to a log cabin; the restaurant is filled with picnic tables to give off a family barbecue feel. However, the food is far from plain; it’s not a chain restaurant and that just may be the key to their success.

Tom Jenkins’ BBQ focuses on making delicious slow-cooked barbecue and making their customers happy. As you approach the restaurant, located on the east side of Federal Highway just north of 17th Street, you can smell the slow-cooked barbecue. The smell is so intense that as you’re pulling up, if you weren’t hungry, you will be and when you leave, the smell follows you home, making you want to return for more.

The employees are more than happy to get you anything you need, whether it is barbecue sauce or a drink refill. The restaurant is not the typical sit down eatery because there’s no hostess waiting to seat your party, and many like to enjoy their food with the other customers as if they’re all one big family. Except, with their faces stuffed in their plates, the only time someone actually looks up and speaks to the people sitting with them is to ask, “Can you pass me a napkin, please?” The restaurant is located in the heart of Fort Lauderdale, where many people are rushing back to their offices or rushing to the beach, so don’t be surprised when folks choose to pack up and take their food to go.

My go-to meal at Tom Jenkins’ is the Half Rack of Baby Back Ribs Dinner ($14). The dinner comes with a half rack of tender baby back ribs, two sides, corn bread and a side of their killer barbecue sauce. The baby back ribs are not only tender but are finger-licking good with or without the barbecue sauce; but the sauce is what makes my heart sing. But my meal isn’t complete without macaroni and cheese and corn on the cob. The macaroni tastes better than your grandmother’s homemade macaroni; it is not too cheesy and perfectly seasoned. The corn on the cob is always juicy and sweet. I like to add salt and pepper to my already buttered corn because, well, why not? Tom Jenkins’ has all the sides you’d want at a backyard barbecue including crispy french fries, savory baked beans, braised collard greens, finely diced potato salad and tangy cole slaw.

Though my go-to meal satisfies all of my mouth-watering cravings, there are many other selections. The menu includes everything from meat dinners to sandwich platters, which both include two sides that you may opt out of for the lower price. Regular spare ribs ($7.99 to $25.99), chopped beef brisket ($7.99 to $12.49), chopped pork ($7.99 to $12.49), whole chicken ($5.29 to $9.99), and catfish ($9.49) are some of the dinner options. The possibilities are almost endless for sandwich platters, with sliced beef, chopped pork, chicken, catfish and sausage on the menu. All sandwich platters ($6.99) come with two sides; choices are fries, cole slaw or baked beans. For those health-conscious folks, there are also Caesar salads ($5.69) and grilled chicken Caesar salads ($7.49). Tom Jenkins’ is the best place you can get a grilled chicken salad because it contains real slow grilled barbecue chicken.

Their homemade lemonade, sweet tea and desserts are just as sought-after as their delicious foods. The lemonade is not too tart and the tea is not too sweet. I like to mix both drinks to create my own Arnold Palmer while eating my barbecue. Sometimes, I purchase a slice of sweet potato pie ($1.79) that I would kill for. The pie is made with real sweet potatoes, not that canned crap, and is flawlessly sweetened. Be sure to make a courageous attempt to save space for dessert because on Fridays and Saturdays, they also offer peach cobbler ($3.99).

Everything I’ve eaten from Tom Jenkins’ has left my mouth watering. The barbecue is different from popular chain restaurants’ like Chili’s and remarkably better. Former Tom Jenkins’ employees opened restaurants, including Soul Food 2 Go in Hollywood and Jack’s Bar-B-Q Smokehouse in Fort Lauderdale. You know what they say: “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.” Even with these restaurants, Tom Jenkins’ hasn’t faltered because their southern food just can’t be beat.

I recommend avoiding the week-day lunchtime rush and the hour before closing because parking in their tight parking lot can be an issue; the line also stretches around the restaurant and out the door during these periods. But, if you have to wait for your food, you won’t be disappointed no matter when you go. Tom Jenkins’ is open five days a week and closed Sundays and Mondays, leaving signs reading “Gon’ to church” and “Gon’ fishin.” It’s back open for business on Tuesdays with many of South Florida’s soul food lovers waiting. Whatever time you decide to visit, I guarantee you it’ll be worth the parking struggle and waiting time.

Tom Jenkins’ definitely has the downtown Fort Lauderdale area locked down when it comes to the best barbecue. Thank you, Tom Jenkins’ BBQ, for bringing a little southern flavor to South Florida.