NSU to induct former athletes into Hall of Fame

On Nov. 12 in the Don Taft University Center, NSU hosted the eighth annual 2014 Athletics Hall of Fame Induction Banquet to induct five former student-athletes into the Hall of Fame.

The event was headlined by J.D. Martinez ’09 of the Detroit Tigers, who played on NSU’s baseball team. Accompanying Martinez was women’s rower Taylor Liput ’07, men’s golfer Greg O’Mahony ’09, women’s soccer player Stephanie Quinones ’09, and women’s tennis player Ulia Talalenko ’09.

The banquet was hosted by former NBC 6 news anchor Tony Segreto, who began the ceremony with the recognition of current student athletes and coaches who attended the event. NSU President George Hanbury and Director of Athletics Mike Mominey followed the recognition with opening statements.

Hanbury said that NSU’s athletic teams have won six national championships overall, and after each win, the teams gave him a championship ring.

“I wear a different ring every day,” he said. “I have more rings than Lebron James.”

Track and field athlete Ryan Jerothe, senior business administration major, said, “The ceremony was cool. It was interesting to see how diverse everyone is and how their sports brought them together.”

Each athlete was inducted individually and a short video was played prior to their initiation that highlighted their accomplishments during their time at NSU and thereafter.

Segreto said, “How you carry yourself on the field, and more importantly in the classroom, is what people look at. Being a student-athlete is something special. It comes with responsibility. You need to be individual leaders in your classrooms, on your teams and within yourselves.”

Track and field athlete Thomas Ingalls, sophomore marine biology major, said, “It was really inspirational watching how the former student-athletes achieved their goals. I see them as leaders and I want to take their leadership qualities and apply them back into my life.”

Martinez said that student-athletes should never give up.

“If you never take ‘no’ for an answer and you believe in yourself…there’s nothing you can’t do,” he said. “I never stopped believing in myself and that’s what really propelled me forward.”

The inductees received a hall of fame blazer, ring and a plaque with their picture and athletic biography on it.

Martinez said that being inducted was a blessing.

“Just to be here is really humbling. When I first came here and walked in these hallways, the school was not what it is today,” he said. “Every time I come back to NSU, it makes me more and more proud to say that this is my home and the place I started out.”

Greg O’Mahony, said, “This place is home to me. Whenever I’m invited back, it really is something special because it bring back all of the memories from when I went to school here.”

Greg O’Mahony’s younger brother, Hunter O’Mahony, is currently a student-athlete at NSU.

“To be able to share that bond with him is something we’ll have for the rest of our lives,” Greg O’Mahony said.

Hunter O’Mahony is a junior sports and recreational management major and has followed in the footsteps of his brother as a member of the men’s golf team.

“It’s definitely an awesome experience [having my brother inducted into the Hall of Fame],” he said. “It lights another fire under my belt to want to beat him. I really would like to win a national championship, whether individually or with my team, and just continue the legacy that my brother and his team started.”

The Hall of Fame includes former student-athletes, coaches, friends of athletics, and people who have contributed to the growth and success of the athletic program. The qualifications for eligibility are different for each category.

Former student-athletes are selected for induction based on athletic statistics, records, honors and achievements. They must have an outstanding performance in one or more varsity sports at NSU, and athletic achievements that are officially recorded and that are so outstanding that there is no question from the committee as to if they should be inducted.

Former students may be inducted a minimum of five years after their last year or season of intercollegiate athletics. Once they are nominated, they are eligible for selection for three consecutive years.

The selection committee includes Mominey, along with Assistant Professor at the Center for Psychological Studies Steve Russo, Associate Professor at the Farquhar College of Arts and Sciences Mark Cavanaugh, Assistant Athletic Director Keith Smith, Director of Alumni Relations R.J. Stamper and NSU Board of Trustees Member Tony Segreto, Director of Alumni Affairs Lynne Cawley, Associate Dean of Administration for Student Affairs and the College of Undergraduate Studies Gay Holliday, Assistant Dean of External Affairs Joe Pineda, Director of Presidential and Trustee Relations Jennifer Ramos, Head Coach of the Women’s Soccer Team Michael Goodrich, Assistant Athletic Director Kim Carbo, and Class of 2007 Hall of Fame Honoree Shannon Sawyer.

Mominey said that the Hall of Fame opened in 2007 and that it was a part of his vision to create traditions under the Department of Athletics. Mominey has been the Athletic Director since 2002 and doubled as the Head Baseball Coach from 2002 to 2010.

“It’s a way to include and recognize former student athletes and supporters or contributors to the program,” he said. “It’s really become a nice event.”

Photo Credits: Li Cohen