Literary magazine Digressions to launch new issue

On April 8, the Farquhar College of Arts and Sciences will celebrate the launch of the new issue of the student-run literary magazine, “Digressions,” with a release event at 4 p.m. in the Performing and Visual Arts Wing in the Don Taft University Center.

The magazine, produced by the college’s Division of Humanities, is a compilation of student submissions in three categories: short fiction, poetry and visual art.

Digressions Editor-in-Chief Angelica Zadak, senior theatre and humanities major, said 28 submissions were accepted: three photography pieces, three short story pieces, six art pieces and 16 poetry pieces.

Zadak said Digressions gives students the opportunity to share their dreams or ideas to a group of people who are not judgmental.

“There are so many people out there who have a dream or idea buried deep inside. They don’t dig it up because they’re too busy, or they’re scared of what it would mean if they were to show people,” she said.

Writers’ and artists’ names were withheld from submissions during the review process. The Digressions editors gave each piece a score from one to five. The results were tabulated, and the pieces with the highest scores were selected for publication.

At the event, Digressions contributors and staff members will read selections of the published student poetry and short fiction.

“It is always magical to hear the words come to life through the eyes of the writer,” said Zadak.

Photographs and paintings from the new issue will also be on display in the gallery, along with entries from this year’s cover-design contest and covers from the past 10 issues.

Destiny Everett, senior philosophy major, said this is the second year her work has been published in Digressions.

“I feel very honored to have two pieces of my poetry selected for publication this year including the poems titled ‘We Weren’t Love’ and ‘Becoming,’” she said.

Zadak said that students both involved and not involved in Digressions should attend the launch.

“For a student whose work is accepted into the magazine, there is recognition, and, for the readers of Digressions, it provides an avenue of discussion,” Zadak said. “There are so many concepts brought up in the art and words of this literary magazine — to communicate these ideas with peers would be great; it’s something to build a community on.”

Everett said it is important for NSU to have a literary magazine because it allows the undergraduate student body to have their voice heard.

“Self-expression is an art that can be understood universally; and, having this opportunity as an undergraduate student is a major accomplishment that most writers don’t get the chance to experience until later on in their careers,” she said.

Ursalina Aguilar, senior art major, said Digressions allows students to show how hard they have worked and what they are able to accomplish.

This is also the second year Aguilar has been featured in Digressions. Her art pieces include “Ice Cream City,” “A Mickey’s Nightmare” and “When I Saw I Cried.”

“It means a lot to get to showcase my work to the entire NSU student body, faculty and staff. It’s a pretty big honor if you ask me,” Aguilar said. “I tend to paint colorful abstract buildings. They have become known as a signature of mine. Over the summer, I grabbed an ice cream cone for inspiration and started drawing out my sketch on a canvas, and there you go, that’s how ‘Ice Cream City’ was created — out of pure fun.”

Aguilar said if a student submitted work and didn’t get accepted, then they should keep trying.

“Success doesn’t happen overnight. You got to keep working. Keep practicing, and you can make your dreams happen. The first time I submitted work to digressions was in my sophomore year, and I submitted the max number of submissions, and none of them got in,” she said. “I was sad, but I used that as inspiration to try harder.”

Zadak said the launch is the best time for students to network as well as show pride in their work.

“There are so many faculty members who appreciate the work these students have created and would be happy to bestow some wisdom on any student who asks,” she said.

Digressions will be available to all NSU students, faculty, staff and members of the community after the release event. Copies will be available in the third floor of the Parker Building and Room 127C.

Prizes will be awarded for the strongest submissions in each category, and a reception at the Flight Deck Pub with light refreshments will follow. Winners will also be recognized at the Undergraduate Student Symposium.

Zadak said, “Though this is my last year as part of the team, I really hope to see Digressions flourish into something big and beautiful. It’s possible, too, if enough heart is put into it.”

For more information about the Digressions magazine, contact Zadak at az174@nova.edu.

Follow the news editor on Twitter @Current_DiMaria