Staff Picks: #RelationshipGoals

Valentine’s Day is a little over two weeks away, which means love is in the air – particularly on our TV sets. From cute celebrity couples to our favorite fictional characters to even our friends and family members who flaunt their significant others on social media, it’s difficult not to feel a little jealous around this time of year. Here are some fictional and celebrity pairs that are so cute that they turn the staff a shade of green with envy.

Li Cohen, co-editor-in-chief, said Marshall and Lily from “How I Met Your Mother”

Most people know about Barney Stinson and his suave moves in HIMYM, but many people don’t realize that he is not the star of the show. The real stars of the show are Marshall and Lily – the dynamic duo who play the married couple of the friend group who bring about three-quarters of the shows humor to play. Marshall and Lily have all kinds of weird little quirks and traditions that from the outside may seem a little strange, but for fans of the show, we all know that their weirdness is just a sign of their love. From bringing home souvenir beer on their trips, to pausing in the middle of their fights so they can reevaluate and come back later, they’re the ultimate on-screen couple.

Nicole Cocuy, co-editor-in-chief, said April Ludgate and Andy Dwyer from “Parks and Recreation”

I’ve always believed that couples who laugh together stay together, and April and Andy from “Parks and Recreation” epitomize that concept. On the surface, Andy Dwyer, basically the human incarnate of a friendly, happy, yet hopelessly unintelligent golden retriever, and April Ludgate, the edgy, stoic and apathetic intern, seem like complete opposites; however, it’s clear that their differences and the only similarity they share — their young and reckless spirit — are what makes them so strong. Everyone doubted their potential when they got married on a whim, but even though they never put much thought into serious decisions, their carefree relationship based on having fun and enjoying life is certainly enviable. April Ludgate pretends not to care about anything, but her love for Andy certainly proves that she does indeed have a heart, especially when she drove with Andy to the Grand Canyon on a whim to help him achieve a lifelong dream. From their marshmallow fights to their Burt Macklin/Janet Snakehole alter-ego role-playing, they’re definitely the perfect, fun-loving relationship many hope to have.

Jazmyn Brown, copy editor, said Rapunzel and Flynn from “Tangled”

Out of all the Disney fairy tale relationships, Rapunzel and Flynn’s has to be my favorite. Watching “Tangled,” it’s not hard to notice how Flynn Rider transforms from conniving ruffian to caring, sentimental hero. The scene in which Flynn tells Rapunzel about his real name is so pure and sweet and innocent ― it was the first time that Flynn really opened up to her. And then there was their duet among the lanterns, one of the most heartbreakingly beautiful scenes in the movie. Rapunzel, headstrong and independent and fearless, doesn’t necessarily rely on Flynn throughout the movie, but the two become the perfect pair; in the end, they save each other.

Carli Lutz, chief of visual design, said music artists Rian Dawson and Cassadee Pope

My favorite celebrity couple is, without a doubt, Rian Dawson and Cassadee Pope. Rian Dawson is the drummer of All Time Low and Cassadee Pope won The Voice a few years back, she used to sing in a band I obsessed over called Hey Monday. When I saw All Time Low a couple years ago I got the chance to hang out with Rian backstage and when I asked him about Cassadee he just couldn’t stop talking about how proud he was of her. It was the most precious thing in the world and I will ship them forever and ever.

Amanda Kaplan, multimedia manager, said Carrie Bradshaw and Mr. Big from “Sex and the City”

Anybody who has ever watched or has even heard of “Sex and the City” knows who the infamous Carrie and Big are. From their ups and downs, trials and tribulations, boyfriends, girlfriends, marriages, alcohol and NYC, there was nothing their relationship hadn’t been through. After years and years of on again, off again, they ended up living happily ever after. Side note: The show’s creator did not want them to end up together. Neither did I. Their imperfect relationship made them perfect. It was realistic, and almost every woman could relate to something the couple had been through. In real life, who knows if they both would have ever been able to commit. But I am happy they ended up together after all life had to throw at them. They will forever be my favorite on-screen couple. (P.S. I’m still hoping to wake up and have Carrie’s NYC apartment).

Erin Herbert, sports editor, said Westley and Buttercup from “The Princess Bride”

I’m not usually one to admit that I like lovey-dovey couples in movies, but when it comes to Westley and Buttercup in “The Princess Bride,” I honestly can’t help myself. The way the two fall in love is so cliché, yet so simple and sweet, that it’s guaranteed that my heart will melt every time I hear “as you wish.” Through a series of misadventures, and even death, the two manage to stay madly in love. Granted, their relationship is pretty unrealistic, but I can dream, can’t I? Forget Kim and Kanye, Westley and Buttercup will always be the epitome of relationship goals for me.

Grace Ducanis, news editor, said Cory and Topanga from “Boy Meets World”

My relationship goal is Cory and Topanga from the television show Boy Meets World. Boy Meets World aired for seven seasons in the 1990s. Cory and Topanga were grade school, then middle school, then high school sweethearts. They had their ups and downs but they never really gave up on their relationship. Spoiler alert: They got married near the end of the series. Now, they have two children in Girl Meets World, a spinoff show currently airing on Disney Channel. I love that they’re a couple that stayed together, got married and stayed married, even though it wasn’t easy.

Roddia Paul, opinions editor, said Whitley and Dwayne from “A Different World”

So my co-worker’s relationship goals were pretty cute but my relationship goal is definitely the best of all time. Whitley and Dwayne from “A different World” are definitely my relationship goals. Not that I’m rich and stuck up. Okay maybe I’m just not rich. But the way their relationship formed hits my soft spot. Dwayne always had a thing for Whitley but he was more of her best guy friend. In today’s terms, she friend zoned him. They both dated other people throughout the show and every now and then would have moments where you could tell they were perfect for each other. It takes Whitley walking down the aisle to another man for Dwayne to get the courage to speak up. Truth be told Whitley was not completely happy with the man she was marrying, everything was right, except the love part. Next thing you know Dwayne stands up and objects to their marriage and whitely finally confesses that she’s loved him all along. Eventually Whitley marries her best friend, Dwayne. Who doesn’t want to marry someone who will do whatever it takes to be with you? I think your spouse should be like your best friend, that’s a bond that’s unbreakable.