Conference focuses on international learning

NSU international and study abroad students can attend the 10th Annual Florida International Leadership Conference to learn about others’ international experiences in DeLeon Springs, Fla., from Feb. 5-7.

The conference’s mission is to give international and study abroad students the opportunity to learn from each other, share educational experiences, promote global education, enhance leadership skills and recognize differing leadership styles across cultures.

Alejandra Parra, associate director of International Affairs at NSU, is the admissions coordinator for the Florida Association of International Educators, which organizes the conference each year.

“[Participants] meet other students from other universities who are in the same situation,” Parra said. “They open up their world. They learn from each other. They forge wonderful friendships. It’s a great way of networking, and it may be of help when the student graduates.”

The theme of this year’s conference is “Breaking Into the Field: A Guide to Entering the Global Workforce.” The conference will focus on professional development.

“It’s something that we’ve kind of overlooked in international students,” Parra said. “We thought they come, get their degree and go back. They don’t; maybe they want to stay here for a year after they finish their studies. They need help finding the opportunities that are out there.”

The conference will include workshops on studying abroad, writing a resume, interviewing and giving 30-second elevator pitches.

Paula Leoro, junior biology major, is from Ecuador and attended the conference in 2014 when she was a freshman. She said that it was one of the most amazing experiences she’s ever had.

“I was scared ― I’m not going to lie,” she said. “I had just changed my country, changed my language, [my] culture. When I got there, I realized I was not the only one going through the same thing. At the end you’re fine ― you’re home here. It’s just the beginning when you’re scared.”

Leoro still keeps in touch with friends she made at the conference.

“You definitely learn a lot, and you expand your knowledge of different cultures in a really awesome way, and you make friends,” she said.

Parra said the conference feels like a summer camp and has a very informal environment because students will be staying at Camp Winona.

Parra also said that the feedback from students has been positive.

“We had students come back and say that it was fantastic because they met so many people,” she said. “As an international student, there are so many opportunities here, but you have to look for them.”

NSU is offering free registration for the conference for international and study abroad students. For more information, contact Parra at aleparra@nova.edu or 954-262-7240.

Photo printed with permission from A. Parra.