Staff Picks: Hot dates for your hot(ter) date

Valentine’s Day is all about spreading the love. Whether you like long walks on the beach or just want a day filled with delicious food, there’s plenty of places to go in the area with your date. Lucky for you, the staff at The Current is stepping in for Cupid this year to help you plan a day you’ll never forget. Ditch the chocolates and overly-stuffed teddy bears this Sunday, and head out to some of our favorite date spots.

Li Cohen, co-editor-in-chief, said Jaxson’s Ice Cream Parlor & Restaurant
I’ll admit it — I’m a sinner when it comes to sweets, especially ice cream. Jaxson’s is, hands down, the best place to go when your craving a little something that’ll make your taste buds cry tears of joy. This ice cream haven is known for its signature treat, the Kitchen Sink, a sink filled with multiple flavors of ice cream that only a huge party of people can finish. With more than 25 flavors to choose from, there’s bound to be one that’ll catch your date’s eye — and, hopefully, help you catch his or her heart.

Jazmyn Brown, copy editor, said Tree Tops Park

Sometimes, there’s nothing more romantic than connecting with nature. Located at 3900 SW 100th Ave., Tree Tops Park features picnic areas, horseback riding trails, nature trails, a lake and waterways, boating, boardwalks and a butterfly garden, as well as lush marsh vegetation and diverse wildlife, so there’s no time to be bored if you and your boo go to this park. Tree Tops Park is the perfect place to take your valentine to unwind and observe nature at its most pristine while you munch on picnic snacks, take a walk near the lake and catch a beautiful sunset. The park also has several playground areas, so you and your sweetheart can be kids again and push each other on the swings. The best part is how inexpensive it is — $1.50 per person on weekends and free on weekdays.

Grace Ducanis, news editor, said Hollywood Beach boardwalk
You don’t have get in the water or even in the sand to have fun with a date at Hollywood Beach. Eat dinner at one of the many restaurants along the boardwalk, browse the various shops, enjoy a live outdoor concert, rent a surrey or bike or sit and people-watch. The boardwalk is great for a first date because it provides plenty of distractions in case conversation gets awkward. The variety of activities you can find there ensures that almost anyone will be able to have fun. Plus, the moonrise over the beach is beautiful. It might even rival the beauty of your date.

Chantel Grant, features editor, said Yogurtland

After a long day at school, I need a little “food pep talk,” which usually leads me to the ice cream aisle in Publix, but, sometimes, when I want to indulge, I head over to Yogurtland. Yogurtland is a frozen yogurt shop located in the Fountains Shopping Mall, and just walking into the store brightens up my day.  The best part about Yogurtland is that they switch up the flavors, so just when I get bored of the lemon sorbet, they switch it out for something interesting like caramel macchiato. All of their flavors are delicious and refreshing, while the ambience makes sitting down and eating a pleasurable experience and a prime spot for date night. Also, I love bringing my dog there because we can sit outside on a cool evening and just chill out. Just talking about it makes me want to go there right now.
Erin Herbert, sports editor, said Joe Picasso’s
I love anything involving art, so Joe Picasso’s is basically heaven for me. At Joe Picasso’s, you can choose whether you want to paint and throw pottery, create glass fusion jewelry, arrange mosaics or try canvas painting. My personal favorite is painting ceramic pottery. Upon walking into the store, there’s a massive wall of pottery that is ready made for customers to paint. There are dozens of different bowls, plates, mugs and ceramic figurines to choose from; the options are endless. Once you sit down to paint, the design of your pottery is completely up to you, but, if you’re no Picasso, then there are tons of friendly staff members to help you out. Joe Picasso’s is a fun and engaging event for any occasion because there’s no better way to spend date night or a girl’s night out than good conversation and a lot of paint.

Roddia Paul, opinions editor, said Silverspot Cinema
Everyone who knows me knows there are two things I love: good movies and good food. When I heard that there was a theater being built near me that incorporated both, I was ecstatic. In Coconut Creek at the Promenade shopping center, a Silverspot Cinema recently opened. It is a movie theater, bar and restaurant all in one, and the best part of it is anything you purchase, you can bring inside the theater with you. Who doesn’t want to kick back in a leather lounge chair with a steak and delicious drink to watch a movie? The prices are good, too.