Nontraditional students redefine the college experience

Undergraduate students are often defined as young students who use college as a vehicle to achieve greater opportunities and shape their identities.

While that definition may be true in many regards, there are times when what it means to be an undergraduate student extends beyond this simple definition. People like Marion Sherman, Jasmine Anthony and Nasser Vetiac are redefining what it means to be undergraduate students.

Marion Sherman is a member of the Lifelong Learning Institute (LLI), sponsored by NSU for retirees, and has taught middle school for 22 years. This is her fifth semester at NSU; she is 75 years old.

Jasmine Anthony is a senior philosophy major, works as an overnight veterinary critical care nurse, is a professional salsa and Afro-Cuban dancer and is 33 years old.

Nasser Vetiac earns his living as a nurse. Vetiac is a philosophy major, a classical pianist and admits to being older than most students but prefers not to disclose his age.

All three students offered their perspectives on what it is like to pursue undergraduate degrees and what advice they have for their younger classmates.

“Age ain’t nothing but a number.” So while that may be enough for some to classify as a nontraditional student, in your opinion, what truly separates you from your 19- or 20-year-old classmates?

Vetiac: “Definitely my life experiences, which help me tackle my studies differently, 19- to 20-year-olds still have the high school mindset and think they can just get by without too much studying. At the university level, you can’t really do that, unless you’re ‘Rain Man.’”

Anthony: “The one thing that separates me from the traditional 19- or 20-year-old student is my overall life experience. This will be my second degree. I received my first bachelor’s in zoology from Rutgers University. I have worked in a multitude of jobs before I had fallen in love with my career as a veterinary nurse. Just to give you some insight, I was a producer for MTV the second season of the “Yo Momma” show. I handled the interviews. I did corporate property management and owned my own dog walking and pet sitting business. I also taught salsa classes for Columbia University students and performed with various dance teams in salsa and Afro-Cuban competitions. I have always been one to live a full life separate from my career.”

How have those life experiences shaped the way you deal with your assignments and professors?

Vetiac: “It has made me more mature and more aware. You learn better time management skills, even though there may still be some procrastination — we all do it —but life experiences, good or bad, make you a well-rounded individual.”

Anthony: “That is a struggle because I already have a degree, and, with my age, it’s challenging not to feel undermined as a returning student. I have found that it’s best to get to know my professors. Unfortunately, their office hours are during the times when I’m asleep since I work the graveyard shift. Sometimes, it’s even hard to remember that I am a student rather than equal with my professor. Another way I make the adjustment is to understand exactly what the professor is looking for.  Even traditional students have a hard time figuring out their professors, but at least they have the time to get to know their professors. It’s harder for me because I really don’t have the time.”

Why did you choose NSU?

Sherman: “Thankfully, I am here because NSU sponsors the Lifelong Learning Institute, which I am a member of, so I get to attend two classes a semester.”

Anthony: “When I had made a decision that I was going return to school, it was a tossup between Barry University and NSU. NSU won for their ability to be patient with my list of questions and concerns. Also, Professor McNaron was so kind to allow me to sit in his class to get a feel of the course. Even though Barry taught the same theories and concepts, the faculty at NSU won me over.”

How does your family feel about you being in college? And how do they show their support?

Anthony: “The only living member in my family is my mother. She is my everything and a full supporter. Even though my Latina heritage calls for me to be a married woman with children, my mother has always admired my tenacity to do what feels right. I was always a determined, headstrong child who never fit the traditional stereotypes of my Puerto Rican heritage. My mom understands why I go through the struggle and exhaustion because she can see my vision. Her support is demonstrated with our daily talks about the material and assignments from the professors. We usually do this at Café Bustelo, with galletas con mantequilla [crackers with butter]. Also, at times, she reads along with me so we can have an informal debate.”

What advice would you give to students just coming into college?

Sherman: “My advice to students is to try to discover what they love to do. If they choose a job they love, it will never feel like work.”

Anthony: “Before anything, know yourself well, and be grounded in who you are. Never run behind the tail of the job; let the job come running after you. Enjoy living, and, if one is going to be a workaholic, like myself, make sure you have a plan of action for your future. As age creeps up, time becomes shorter. Plan right and accordingly with what you want.”

Vetiac: “Try not to party like a rock star early on. Do your work, and try your best to do well in class. I always believe that you should never give up no matter what anyone tells you. Reach for the stars toward the heavens themselves.”