Staff Picks: Fall TV Shows

Autumn may be the season of pumpkin-flavored foods and harvest festivals, but it’s also the season of television premieres. Here are some shows The Current staff is looking forward to this fall.

Morgan Thorn, business manager, said “Gilmore Girls”
I am really looking forward to the new season of “Gilmore Girls” coming out on Netflix later this fall.  I used to watch the show religiously when I was younger and may have binge-watched the series instead of studying for finals last semester. In my opinion, the series could have had a better ending so I’m hoping the writers do the show justice this time around.
“Gilmore Girls” will be available on Netflix on Nov. 25.

Carli Lutz, chief of visual design, said “Brooklyn Nine-Nine”
I’m most excited for “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” to start up again. I binge-watched the series over the summer and quickly became obsessed. “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” is a hilarious show that follows the 99th precinct of the New York Police Department. The show features Andy Samberg along with the always-perfect Terry Crews as Sergeant Terry Jeffords. Its fourth season premieres Sept. 20 on Fox.

Watch “Brooklyn-Nine-Nine” on Tuesdays at 8 p.m. on Fox.

Jenna Kopec, features editor, said “The Good Place”
I’m not really a big TV watcher but I am looking forward to the series premiere of “The Good Place” Sep. 19 on NBC. It seems like it’s going to be a really quirky and new take on the afterlife and what it means to be a good person.

After the Sept 19. premier, watch “The Good Place” on Thursdays at 8:30 on NBC.

Erin Herbert, co-editor-in-chief, said “The Walking Dead”
I can’t wait for “The Walking Dead” to come back to AMC. The beloved zombie-themed drama will be returning for its seventh season this fall. The series left off on a dramatic cliffhanger at the end of season six, and I have been patiently waiting all summer to find out what kind of trouble Rick and his group will get into next. “The Walking Dead” is an integral part of my Sunday night ritual, and its Oct. 23 premiere can’t come soon enough.

Watch “The Walking Dead” on Sundays at 9 p.m. on AMC.

Grace Ducanis, copy editor, said “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend”
A successful NYC lawyer moving to a small California town for a guy she used to date at summer camp seems like the half-baked premise of a Hallmark movie, but it’s actually the plot of one of the smartest and funniest shows on television. I watched the first season avidly as protagonist Rebecca Bunch navigated her relationships with guys, coworkers, and her mom amid tongue-in-cheek commentary on society. And the best thing about the show? Every episode of “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” has three to four stellar musical numbers, with auditory gems like “I Gave You a UTI” and “I Love My Daughter (But Not in a Creepy Way).” The show’s second season premieres Oct. 21 on the CW , and if fall doesn’t get here faster I might just go crazier than an ex-girlfriend.

Watch “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” on Fridays at 9 p.m. on the CW.

Jacquie Lytle, co-editor-in-chief, said “Worst Cooks in America”
I’m looking forward to the new season of Worst Cooks in America.” Hosted by Anne Burrell and Rachael Ray, this season, which airs on Sept. 14 on the Food Network, is a celebrity edition. Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino, Mindy Cohn and Kenya Moore will be among the stars showing off their inability to cook. I’m excited to see what funk they concoct.

Watch “Worst Cooks in America” on Wednesdays at 9 p.m. on the Food Network.

Aidan Rivas, visual design assistant, said “American Horror Story”
I’m looking forward to the newest season of “American Horror Story,” which premieres Sept. 14 on FX. I’ve followed the series all the way so far, though seasons “Coven” and “Freakshow” made me lose interest. However, “Hotel” was a spectacular season, so I have high hopes. It’s always a pleasure to see recurring actors and occasionally characters, and I know that no matter what avenue they end up taking, I’ll most likely get some enjoyment out of “American Horror Story” this September.

Watch “American Horror Story” Wednesdays at 10 p.m. on FX.