Athlete of the Week: Michael Hernandez

Hailing from Florida’s own Pembroke Pines, Michael Hernandez is a senior business administration major currently playing on NSU’s baseball team. Hernandez has been playing baseball since he was four years old and has no plans of stopping any time soon.

In high school, Hernandez played four years at Archbishop McCarthy and won four state championships. He was scouted for NSU’s baseball team as a result.

In Hernandez’s sophomore year playing at NSU, he played in 40 games as the starting catcher and surpassed his freshman year record by the second game. As a junior, Hernandez helped his team win the National Championship, a title which Hernandez plans on maintaining this upcoming season.

Hernandez offered some insight into his passion for baseball and his plans for the future.

What encouraged you to play baseball?

“I got a ball in a bag when I was four years old on Christmas, and I didn’t stop playing with it. My parents noticed and decided to throw me into baseball and [I’ve] loved it ever since.”

Why did you decide to play for NSU?

“Nova was close to my home, and I had previously met with the coaches before coming to the school. I felt that it was a really great fit for me personally and for my family as well.”

How do you balance being a student and an athlete?

“The biggest thing is time management. You have to be able to separate school from athletics, and put one aside so that you can do the other. It’s all about time management.”

What has been your proudest achievement as a baseball player?

“Winning the National Championship, for sure, has been my proudest achievement thus far.”

Are there any professional players that you look up to? 

“I’d say Yardia Melania, because I feel that his game is similar to the way that I play my game, with regards to the defense and offensive. In general, I’d say I look up to just every athlete in general and seeing the hard work they put in all the time.”

If you could choose any baseball players to create a dream team with, who would you choose?

“Johnny Bench, Hank Aaron and Ozzie Smith. All of these players are basically legends. You say their names and any baseball player is going to know who those three guys are.”

What are your plans for after college? Do you plan on continuing with baseball?

“I plan to continue with my baseball career… If that doesn’t work out I plan to get into sales, but I’m hopeful that my baseball career will work out.”

Any goals or expectations for yourself going into the season? 

“My goal for this season is to win the championship again this year and to continue with my baseball career. This season is dedicated to Adonis Perez.”

Photo Caption: Hernandez has been playing baseball since the age of four.

Credit: M. Shattuck