Shark Speak: Is having a minor beneficial? Why or why not?

ivana

Ivana Barraza, junior biology major

“I think if you can, it would be very beneficial and important to have a minor because it opens up a lot of opportunities, I would think. The bio major itself has a lot of rigorous courses, so it’s a little difficult to maintain a minor, especially if you work. But if you can definitely do a minor, I would definitely recommend it.”

Ian

Ian Valenzuela, sophomore exercise science major

“I feel like it could definitely be beneficial. Like for instance, if you’re going to minor in Spanish, it could help you go into other fields that other people don’t have the advantage to.”

Andrew

Andrew Labosky, freshman marine biology major

“I feel like it could narrow down what kind of job you want to go into.”

margoli

Sarah Margolas, freshman exercise science major

“It helps separate you from all of the other majors that are like you. For leadership, it helps us have a step up in the employment world.”

Misha Brahmbhatt, freshman biology major

“I feel like having a minor gives you comfort and provides support for your career or the rest of your life.”

Sarah left Misha right

Roma

Roma Robinson, junior psychology major

“You can get more experience outside of your field… but you see, I also believe you can use your electives for more than just a minor. Take a bunch of courses to get experience in those courses… It’s nice having that extra experience under your belt.”