Athlete of the Week: Alessandro Xella

Alessandro Xella is a freshman mathematics and computer science double major. He is from Imola, Italy and competes on NSU’s men’s swim team.

How did you start swimming?

“I started swimming when I was a little child. I was maybe two or three years old. I started doing it as a sport when I was 10. I started swimming because it is healthy. My brother, he was a swimmer, and so my mom said I should try it too. I didn’t like it at the beginning, but as soon as I started doing it as a sport and there was a competition linked to the swimming, I started to like it.”

Have you ever considered playing another sport?

“I played basketball [but] stopped playing when I was 13. I did both swimming and basketball for two years and then I decided to keep swimming.”

Why did you come to Nova?

“[I came] mostly for swimming. That’s the reason I saw Nova the first time. I spoke to coach Ben last summer, and we had a conversation. I looked for other schools but Nova was the best one.”

How has swimming helped you adjust to college life?

“It helps a lot. I was thinking about that with my roommate. [There is] three to the room, two swimmers and one non swimmer. We have a full schedule, and it’s hard but it has helped me. I don’t ever waste time. I am always doing something.”

How would you describe the relationship with your teammates?

“I like it so much. Here, it’s more about the team than the single athlete. It’s something different than what I am used to. Here, you swim for the team, so you have to score as many points as possible. It’s not only about you. When you are tired during a competition you know that you are swimming for the team, and you have to push yourself more. “

What is your favorite thing to do after a big meet?

“The first thing I do is relax mentally, and then the best thing to do is always celebrate with the team. In particular, [it is good] if it was a good meet but also if it was a bad meet because it helps you to [not] think about it.”

Do you have any pre-meet rituals?

“I [watch] videos on YouTube of NBA players with a song in the background. This is what I used to do the day before the meet or before going to the pool.”

What does your downtime look like?

“It’s hard to say because I am adjusting to a new life. On the weekend, [my friends and I] always plan something. We like to go to the beach. That’s one of the other main reasons I came here because it is really close to the beach. We like traveling. We went to the Keys one week, and I also want to see the Everglades. Exploring around this new place is what I like to do.”

What is advice you would give to other student athletes?

“Do not stress too much. It’s hard but you can do it. Just work hard and keep focused. Just take it step by step.”