Mass shooting in California bar
A gunman entered the Borderline Bar and Grill, a country-music bar, in Thousand Oaks, Calif. on the evening of Nov. 7. Twelve people were killed in the mass shooting, including a sheriff’s deputy who arrived first on the scene. The bar was full of college students for the bar’s college night. The New York Times reported that the gunman was dead and that several witnesses credit their survival to other attendees. The Times reported that “witnesses also told local news media about patrons in the back of the bar who broke out a window and helped a number of people escape.” The gunman was identified as a 28-year-old Marine veteran.
Jeff Sessions replaced as Attorney General
At the request of President Trump, Jeff Sessions resigned as attorney general. Sessions served as a senator for Alabama for ten years prior to his role in the Trump administration. Trump tweeted, “We are pleased to announce that Matthew G. Whitaker, Chief of Staff to Attorney General Jeff Sessions at the Department of Justice, will become our new Acting Attorney General of the United States.” Whitaker will most likely “take charge of the Russia investigation and special counsel Robert Mueller from Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein,” according to CNN. Whitaker is an Iowan lawyer that joined the Department of Justice for the second time in his career in 2017.
Google alters sexual misconduct policy for employees
On Thursday, Google announced that it would end its practice of forced arbitration for claims of sexual harassment or assault within the workplace. This is in response to the staged walkout of 20,000 employees two weeks ago. This protest was due to public outcry after Senior Executive Andy Rubin received a 90 million exit package from the company after he was accused of sexual harassment from credible sources. In an email to the staff, the chief executive said that the request to alter the sexual harassment policy was “taken seriously and committed to making the changes needed to improve” according to the New York Times.
47 dead after bus crash in Zimbabwe
Two long-distance buses crashed into one another near Rusape, Zimbabwe on Nov. 7. As of Thursday afternoon, 47 people had been pronounced dead. Ellen Gwaradzimba, the provincial minister of Manicaland Province, told the press that “one bus tried to pass two large trucks on a stretch of road where overtaking is prohibited.” Both buses were speeding which also contributed to the collision. The death toll is expected to rise, and 80 people were take to the hospital following the crash. Rusape’s morgue was filled to capacity following the crash.