It’s okay to change your major!

Growing up, we were constantly asked the infamous question, “what do you want to be when you grow up?” Then, in high school, the question mildly changed to “what do you want to major in once in college?” Perhaps we had answers in our minds like a doctor, nurse or businessman at the time and majored in the fields that would help us to achieve those goals. As time passed, however, we realized that we no longer had a desire to work in those fields or simply recognized they were not for us. Do we power through those classes and stay in this major or do we decide to make the switch and try something new? Despite the unspoken stigma about changing majors, according to The National Center for Education Statistics, about eighty percent of college students change their major at least once in their college careers.   

As college students, we are exposed to a variety of different classes on a semesterly basis. We are given the opportunity to explore many fields, yet some of us do not venture out of our “designated” fields. I think, however, if you are feeling uncertain about your major or you no longer feel a passion towards it, then you should consider changing it to something else you have an interest in. Some students stick to a specific major after realizing they do not love it for a few reasons. Maybe they feel they have already spent too much money on tuition and courses to change it or they feel pressured to stay in this major because it’s what their parents want or what their friends are studying. The truth of the matter is, though, that our college experience is ours alone and if we are not content studying something we should change what we are studying.  

I began college as a marketing major only to realize towards the end of winter term that I had made this decision only because my parents had suggested I study something relating to business and it was the only business field I found interesting. I knew that this was not the route I wanted to take and I did decide to change my major. Now, two semesters into being a communications major with specificity in journalism, I am not only happier attending and paying for these classes but feel that I did something for myself.  

Luckily, I did come to this realization early on as changing your major too late into your academic career may cause a few ramifications. Depending on when you decide to change your major may cause a delayed graduation date as you need more time to get the required credits towards your degree. It may also add tuition costs to your college years but it may be worth it.  

People say college is the best four years of your life but do you want to spend them majoring in something you do not like? Changing your major means many things. It means your personality is evolving and you are learning things about yourself that perhaps you did not know or had not realized. Changing your major provides the opportunity to further finding out what you want to do with your life, career-wise and there is nothing wrong with that. There is no reason to look at changing your major as an impossible or bad thing. It could be the best academic decision you make.