Shark Cage Spotlight: Stacey Warm

Stacey Warm is a junior business administration major and a shark cage student at NSU. Her business, Mako Me Fit Protein Shakes, sells healthy protein shakes to NSU students, faculty and staff.

What interested you in the shark cage program and why did you apply?

“I really liked the the unique opportunity offered to students. Instead of just going to any ordinary school and getting [an] education within the classroom, I knew that I would be offered a very unique opportunity here to have a lot of hands-on lessons. The one thing that really drew me to the program was that it gave me the opportunity to experiment with the business world before getting into the ‘real world.’ It was something that I hadn’t been offered anywhere else.”

What are some of the advantages of being a shark cage student?

“I am definitely a hands on learner. I can learn anything in the classroom but until I apply it, it doesn’t really stick. Now that I have been running and operating my own business, I oversee finances, keep track of  my inventory, work in the stand for my hours and work on my customer service skills. I have learned real life skills [I will apply] when I am out in the real world.”

What are your future aspirations?

“I’d love to continue to open businesses and be an entrepreneur. Every student in the program [receives a] minor in entrepreneurship. My ultimate goal is to be a hotel owner; it’s been my lifelong dream.”

What is the most important thing you have learned through the program?

“I learned the importance of not being an idealist. I like to think positively, but it has made me realize that I can’t always think that everything is going to work perfectly. Right now I am in the concession stand on the second floor [of the UC] and it’s not really a place that people know exists, so that definitely worked to my disadvantage. I think my biggest lesson is to be realistic about my goals.”

How has the shark cage program helped you to realize your future goals?

“You do a [business pitch] your freshman and sophomore year, and you meet all these executives in entrepreneurship and high level individuals. I have really developed my skills as a young businesswoman. I’ve gotten opportunities that I am certain I would not have gotten at any other university. I do think it has reassured me that business is the correct field for me because I enjoy being apart of this program so much. The other thing I really enjoy is that I have three mentees; it has made me realize that in the future I absolutely want to serve as a mentor to students when I am a successful businesswoman.”

What advice do you have for students applying or in their first year of the program?

“I would say make sure you are dedicated. It’s great to have this great scholarship attached, but I say all the time that I would pay to be in this program because of everything that it has given me. It is a time commitment, and it’s something you have to have a passion for. Realize how unique of an opportunity this truly is and run with it. Also don’t be nervous. It’s really easy to come in the first day with your pitch and think you are really terrible at it, but the more you do it, the more comfortable you become. I was terrible at public speaking, and I have completely transitioned as a person. So I would say just have faith in yourself.”

What inspired your business plan?

“My idea sparked because I used to have this gym at home, and after every workout I would get a protein shake there. I was working out at the [recplex] gym one day and I was like, “Wait, I never find anything that I like to follow up my workouts with, why don’t I open a protein shake stand.” From then on I ran with it. It was something I cared about because it bothered me. I wanted to provide a healthy option for students and employees and faculty and everybody else so they could live a healthy lifestyle.”

You can find Stacey Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays in the second floor concession stand in the UC, but make sure to stop by soon because March 22 will be the last day of operation for the Winter 2019 semester. Also, don’t forget to check out her social media pages.

Facebook: Mako Me Fit Protein Shakes

Instagram: @makomefitprotein