VSCO Girls: highly overrated

Sourced: Dominika Gregusova

The newest trend all over social media are “VSCO girls.” “VSCO girls” originated from a photo editing app called VSCO, where users edit pictures that would later end up on their Instagram account. This trendy aesthetic is not as aesthetically pleasing as they’re made out to be. Most of the “VSCO girl” aesthetic throws me off like socks and sandals. Since the VSCO aesthetic is beachwear, I don’t understand why they would wear socks with their Birkenstocks if they are supposed to be on the beach.

The only good thing about the “VSCO girl” aesthetic is the fact that they carry around Hydro Flasks and use metal straws. According to Refinery 29, “VSCO girls” are environmentally conscious with their constant uses of the Hydro Flasks and metal straws in order to save turtles. Scrunchies are another part of the aesthetic, but that’s just fine. Usually you would see women with long, thick hair using these scrunchies, but now every “middle school, high school and college-aged girl [wears] them,” according to CNBC.

Honestly, to become a “VSCO girl” is extremely expensive because they use and wear brand name items. They purchase AirPods, Mario Badescu facial spray, a Fjallraven Kanken backpack and the Hydro Flasks. According to The New York Times, the Pura Vida bracelets that “VSCO girls” wear along with scrunchies can be up to $12 – $28 each; all big purchases just to get a good picture to upload to Instagram or the VSCO app. If I’m being honest, wasting hundreds of dollars just to look like you’re going to the beach or to take an aesthetically pleasing picture is not worth it. You have to be financially stable to be able to become a VSCO girl and I would rather waste my money on food.

“VSCO girls” are mostly young women and I can’t help but agree with the general public that the aesthetic is highly irritating. The way they talk and their made-up laugh, sksksksksk, is one of the most irritating things ever. The VSCO aesthetic has become so popular that now girls dress up and make videos making fun of “VSCO girls” on the TikTok app. The “VSCO girl” aesthetic is highly overrated, but people like to be part of the “it crowd.” Other than the oversized shirts with small shorts and expensive items, the “VSCO girl” aesthetic is fine. People can wear whatever they want; if they want to be VSCO girls they can, but I wouldn’t be part of the VSCO girl group. Skskskskksk and I oop.