Athlete of the Week: Brittany Landrum

By: Cameron Pritchett 

Brittany Landrum is a freshman from Saint Cloud, FL. In addition to playing volleyball at NSU, she is majoring in psychology and minoring in criminology. In their game this past weekend, Brittany had 8 kills and 5 blocks, guiding the Sharks to their first conference win.

At what age did you start playing volleyball, and what got you started in the sport?

So, I started playing around 11 years old. My mom has experience playing, and she got me interested in it. 

Can you talk to the role that the coaching staff plays in the team’s success?

Just overall feedback from the coach, whether it be positive or negative, helps the player know if they are doing something right, or if they need to fix something during the game. That’s honestly how I learned to play the game.

In terms of preparation for a game, how do you prepare mentally?

Definitely jamming out with my team in the locker room before a game.

How do you prepare for a week you know is going to be busy with both athletics and academics?

I always write everything down in an agenda and on my calendar in my room. This helps me to make sure I’m fully prepared for the week.

What are your expectations for the season?

I personally just want to grow as an athlete mentally. I think that our team overall needs to focus on getting right into a game. Our sense of urgency needs to get better, but when we take care of that, the talent is definitely there to dominate a lot of these teams.

How do you handle mistakes that you’ve made?

I always tell myself “one and done.” Once that mistake is done, you can’t go back; you can’t fix it. You just have to make the next opportunity better. In fact, I usually tell my setter to set me again. 

Who is your biggest inspiration?

My mom, definitely. She inspires me to be a better person, and she knows volleyball really well, and after a game, she’s the first person that will be straight up with me and tell me if I had a good game or not and what to improve on. I respect her advice regardless of how I feel about it.

What do you do when you’re not training or studying?

Most of our team likes to go to the beach; it’s kind of like a relaxation time for us outside of volleyball

PRINTED WITH PERMISSION FROM NSU ATHLETICS