Being fully remote as a commuter has been a blessing

As I begin my senior year, it’s still strange to accept that, instead of waking up extra early, getting in my car, driving for an hour and attending class, I am completing my degree online. While this is strange and wouldn’t have happened if not for a pandemic, I am grateful. 

NSU’s decision to allow most students the option of choosing if they would like the semester to be a hybrid or fully remote semester has been a blessing in disguise for me. Having decided to be fully remote has allowed me to spend less time driving to and from campus and more time focusing on my academics and hobbies. Being fully remote has also allowed me to save a lot of money on gas, which I am now putting towards paying my raised tuition. Instead of waking up early and driving an hour, I now have time to eat a nutritious breakfast and get some more sleep. Instead of spending an extra hour sometimes in traffic trying to get home after class, I now have time to get a head start on assignments and find some downtime to paint, read or relax. 

While I am aware that not every student has had the option to be fully remote, being fully remote can be an advantage — if you choose to look at it that way. However, being fully remote also means you must be able to discipline yourself. It’s easy to be distracted and lack motivation when learning from home, but if you set up a study space within your home environment where you do your coursework, you’re sure to see results. It also helps to create a schedule or have a daily to-do list with your assignments, due dates and extracurriculars. 

Being fully remote means that you have to create a healthy balance between your coursework and your home life in order to succeed in all aspects. It’s choosing to attend class even though you’re in your pajamas lying in bed or doing an assignment despite wanting to watch a movie or take a nap.

Prior to the pandemic, I was the type of student who would do all her homework at school. Now, I don’t really have that option. However, I make it a priority to get my assignments done before focusing on other things. I make it a priority to follow my class schedule as if I were still on campus. 

Being fully remote means you’re disciplining yourself to focus on school in your home environment. Oftentimes, we can feel and become easily distracted when learning from home, but while this may seem difficult, it is doable. All it takes is discipline. As a commuter who was previously driving two hours or more a day just to get my schooling in, being fully remote may take a bit more effort, but it’s worth it.