Staff Picks: What is your most hated popular snack?

“Honestly, nothing really immediately came to mind. I’ve been a vegetarian or a vegan for years, so I kind of disqualified a fair amount of foods for myself already. If I had to pick something, in the past, I’ve disliked a lot of packaged dessert-type snacks, like mini donuts or cakes. Even then, I wouldn’t say I hate them — some of them I’ve actually enjoyed in the past, but I’m not a big fan of the ones that have that waxy frosting or coating. I don’t want a snack to remind me of a candle,” – Madelyn Rinka, co-editor-in-chief

“I wouldn’t say that I am a food snob since I still spray whipped cream straight from the can directly into my mouth. However, the most disgusting thing is any combination of chocolate with mint or peppermint. Andes, York Peppermint Patties, mint-flavored Oreos, Junior Mints, mint-flavored M&M’s; unfortunately, the list goes on and on. I get it, chocolate is a great ingredient to combine with other treats, but mint, spearmint and peppermint should be nowhere near chocolate. Mint is a flavor for toothpaste, mouthwash and breath mints, not for a treat when you’ve had a long day. It honestly makes me nauseous just thinking about it,” – Christina McLaughlin, co-editor-in-chief 

“Truthfully, I love food and I’m not really picky with what foods I eat. With that said, there aren’t really any popular snacks that I hate. In fact, when I looked up ‘popular snacks’ to get an idea of all the chips, chocolates and candies loved in the U.S., I found myself enjoying most of the items on that list — with the exception of Fritos, but even then, I’ll eat them if I’m offered. Yet, a popular snack I am picky with and did not see on that list is popcorn — a movie-watching staple loved by tons of people. However, I don’t necessarily see the hype. Depending on the type of popcorn, where I am and my mood, will I eat it and actually enjoy it. Getting pieces of kernel stuck in my teeth is just not fun at all. Usually, the only setting in which popcorn is appropriate is during a movie — or if it’s caramel corn, and even then, I’ll only want it sometimes,” – Flor Ana Mireles, copy editor

“I would not say that I should be the most trusted source on snack foods as my favorite snack of all time is the Lil’ Yachty Hot Fries Rap Snack that I was only able to find at Spencers before they stopped selling them. However, I have a question for those of you who enjoy salt and vinegar chips of any kind: who hurt you? Do you just enjoy pain and dissatisfaction? I can honestly see no other reason as to why you would consume that flavor. It’s like you’re thinking, ‘You know what would go great with this mid day snack? Pain.’ I will never understand the appeal,” – Rick Esner, news editor

“I want to start off by saying that I am a big fan of ice cream. In 2014, I went to Italy for a month and ate gelato every day. I came home to the states with a greater love for the dessert and also gained a little more junk in the trunk, if you catch my drift. I love all flavors: cookie dough, cookies and cream, coffee and triple chocolate, but the one flavor I dislike is mint chocolate chip, yet it is apparently on the list of the top 10 most popular ice cream flavors. If I wanted to have a fresh breath, I would just brush and floss. While I do commend it for its cute green color, I will not be wasting a scoop of ice cream on something that reminds me of my oral hygiene routine,” – Siena Berardi, sports editor

“This is very niche, but I’m just going to say it; I hate Cool Ranch Doritos. In fact, there hasn’t been a Doritos flavor that has won out the place in my heart dedicated to the original Nacho Cheese Doritos. The first time I tried Cool Ranch Doritos, I actually almost gagged. Something about them just irks me. Whether it’s the fact that I just don’t like ranch flavoring,  I don’t understand how ranch can be ‘cool’ or that I just really like the original Nacho Cheese Doritos, I can’t get behind this popular snack,” – Sofia Gallus, arts & entertainment editor

“This probably doesn’t count as a snack, but I hate mushrooms. I don’t trust mushrooms as food and I just don’t trust them, in general. Mushrooms decompose living organisms and reproduce via spores. What if one day I end up eating a mushroom, some leftover spores line my trachea or get into my lungs? What is stopping them from decomposing me from the inside? That’s just too much to think about and I can’t give them that power over me, so I think I’ll just stay away from them,” – Alexander Martinie, opinions editor

“I love food. Whether I’m trying out new flavors, getting snacks with friends or picking up something interesting at the grocery store, I’m generally adventurous with what I eat. However, over the years, I’ve grown a deep hatred for Wheat Thins. Cheese and crackers are great, but if someone pulls out a box of Wheat Thins, I’ll just be eating cheese. Those tiny, pointy-edged crisps really grind my gears for some reason. When there are so many better cracker options, there’s no reason not to avoid them,” – Erin Cowan, visual design assistant