Class of 2021: The “new normal” graduation

Graduation season is the time of year when families and friends come together to celebrate the accomplishments of this educational milestone. This is the time of year that seniors have been longing for, except there will be a twist on this year’s graduation ceremony. The class of 2021’s graduation may not be what anyone envisioned growing up, but at least there will still be a ceremony. On Feb. 16, President Hanbury sent an email to NSU students, faculty and staff informing them of plans for an in-person graduation ceremony.

NSU will be following CDC guidelines for the ceremony, meaning families will be sitting six feet apart. Though the ceremony is in person, the students will not be walking across the stage. Instead, the students will stand up when their name is called and their photo will be shown on the jumbotron. For now, NSU and the Hard Rock Stadium are working together to ensure a ticket system for the graduates’ guests. Unfortunately, at this moment, there are no details of how many guests per student are allowed. The one thing that students and guests will need to remember is to wear a mask.

As a graduating senior, I was shocked and excited to hear that graduation was in person. This is the moment we have all worked so hard for, and now, we will be able to celebrate all of our diligent work. My first year at NSU, I was a business major, but my second year, I decided I needed a change. I am now a communication major with a concentration in strategic communication. I was able to complete my degree in three years and I am able to celebrate this special moment wearing my cap and gown.

Julia Kelley, a graduating senior majoring in communication, said, “I feel that, as long as all of the safety precautions are put in place, I’m looking forward to having a graduation.”

Meagan Vigo, a graduating senior who is pursuing a major in paralegal studies (pre-law), said, “I am a little nervous, but also very excited. I think it’s commendable of NSU for trying to get us some sense of normalcy after this year. In the meantime, my family and I have worked on getting the vaccines to ensure we keep ourselves safe. So, hopefully, everyone else is doing the same.”

Fins up, seniors. The finish line is near.