That Time I… Got my driver license cancelled

The first time I went to get my license, I did everything right. I took all my immigration documents, took the alcohol and drug abuse course and was with someone over 21 who owned a car. The process went so smoothly, I would never imagine I would get a letter in the mail a few weeks later communicating that my license was “indefinitely canceled.” 

As an international student, there are a lot of extra steps in the whole process of getting a license, but I made sure I had everything covered. I took the written and the road test just like everyone else who wants to legally drive in the U.S.   

I passed both tests and when I went to the booth to get my license, the lady told me the DMV had to verify my enrollment at Nova Southeastern University and that’s why my actual driver’s license was going to be mailed to me within two months.   

Imagine my surprise when after a little over a month, I get a letter from the DMV canceling my license instead of the physical license itself. Worse, there was no explanation as to why it was ever canceled in the first place. According to the letter, I had 30 days to go to the nearest DMV with all my documents to appeal the decision.   

I was really frustrated my license was canceled, but even more that I would have to go to the DMV and face the long lines again. I was so worried I would have to take the road test again.   

When I got to the DMV half an hour before it opened, there was a line already. One of the officers who was checking the documents outside asked what I was there for. I explained the situation to her, and she just said: “Why did your driver’s license get canceled?” Ironic. 

I moved to the other line, where I waited for three hours – yes, I timed it – until I was finally inside. The officer in the booth was also surprised: “So, you didn’t get your license in the mail?” I did not. From there, everything went smoothly. She checked my documents and said my license was going to be printed at no extra cost.   

When I finally had my license in my hand, I just couldn’t believe it. I felt so relieved but also so proud of myself for going through that situation alone. Moving across the globe and starting your life on your own can be challenging sometimes, like when you get a letter in the mail saying your license is canceled, but facing these challenges by yourself makes you realize how strong you are, and it makes you grow as a person.   

I have so many more stories like this from the four months I have been here by myself, and they usually involve me being frustrated over things and having to solve them on my own. But I wouldn’t have it any other way. I wouldn’t pass on the chance of having my driver’s license canceled now that I know how much I learned from it. After all, I came here to go through these experiences, grow up and become more independent.   

Every day I get stronger and find out something new about myself. While standing in that three-hour line in the DMV, I realized that’s what life is about. Facing long lines when you don’t feel like it because you know that what awaits you in the end is not just a license, but a huge opportunity to learn and grow.