Gill out: Tijuana Taxi Co.

In one of the most surprising events in my recent memory, I saw that Tijuana Taxi Co. had not been a part of our Gill Out series yet. As a result, I knew that I had to make a trip there.  

For those who don’t know, Tijuana Taxi Co. describes itself as a “Mexican Cuisine and Cantina [that] serves fresh Mexican & Tex-Mex food and Legendary Margaritas,” on their website. The Mexican restaurant has three locations, all in Broward County, including Coral Springs, Davie and Deerfield Beach. I, of course, visited the Davie location. Located just two miles from campus on University Drive, it’s a spot that anyone can make their way to. In fact, the Davie location is the original location that the owners opened in 2004. 

I made my trip to Tijuana Taxi Co. with my girlfriend. The inside has a great ambiance, with walls covered in LED signs and logos of companies. I love it when restaurants have walls that are covered with signs, memorabilia and decorations. I have no complaints about the service, in fact, it was great. When we walked in, we were seated immediately and had constant service from the waiter.  

Despite being a restaurant that serves predominantly Mexican food, there is something for everyone on the menu, especially the picky ones like myself. The menu consists of a plethora of Mexican originals, but also cheeseburgers, chicken tenders and french fries.  

Now, before I tell you what I ordered, don’t knock me. It can only be described as elite. I ordered the chicken tenders tossed in their honey sweet sauce. Now, as a bit of a wings and boneless wings enthusiast, I tend to order meals similar to them wherever I go. I cannot express how well it worked out for me here, as Tijuana Taxi Co.’s honey sweet sauce is in my top three for any “boneless” wings I’ve had in recent memory. 

I enjoy Mexican food, but my girlfriend definitely prefers it more than I do. She ordered three carne asada tacos. As she is somewhat of a street taco connoisseur, she said that she very much enjoyed the tacos and that she would love to return.  

For anyone that’s tired of the everyday options around campus like Chick-Fil-A, Chipotle and others, make your way over to Tijuana Taxi Co. to enjoy a nice, different meal.