Plugging in at the UC: An inconvenient task

The University Center is a great place to study, and one of my favorites. It has food and cute lounge chairs, as well as desks and seats to get focused and do your work. However, I seem to keep running into the same problem whenever I work there. It will be right when I am finishing up work or really in the zone writing a paper that I get the annoying notification that my computer is at 5% Usually, I start freaking out as I don’t want my computer to die causing me to lose all my work. I rush to pull out my charger and quickly detangle it. 

I look to plug it in at the nearest outlet by where I am sitting and there’s not one right next to me. This is always super frustrating because I have to get up and look around to find an outlet and let my computer sit there to charge.  

It seems to me the outlets in the UC are in the most inconvenient locations. Whenever I go to sit at the designated seating, the nearest outlet is always several feet away, so I am never able to work and charge my devices at the same time. I feel like the UC needs outlets the same way the library has outlets. For example, outlets are on the physical desk themselves, or there should at least be an outlet every place that there’s a seat, not outlets on random parts of the wall where no one sits to work.  

On the first floor of the UC there is a charging station that comes in handy, but I feel like its location could be better served in a more enclosed area like the second floor of the UC. I feel like not many people want to put their phone in there and walk away from it. Though the charging station is only for phones, it could be beneficial on the second floor, which is a lot more popular of a study area for students than the first floor.  

However, moving the station still doesn’t solve the problem of needing to be able to charge your devices at the same time you’re working on them. I think that students would really benefit from having more outlets added in the building so that we no longer have to wait for things to charge or move locations to be able to work on our computers.