Junior goalkeeper establishes herself as top player

Forwards grow up dreaming of scoring beautiful goals that will make fans stand up from their seats and cheer their hearts out. Goalkeepers have similar dreams. Their dream is to make the spectacular save that will make everybody’s heart stop for a split second.

Chrissy Hy, junior goalkeeper for the women’s soccer team, has that dream and is using athletic perseverance to achieve it. Hy is back on the field and having a great season after recovering from injuries.

Now a junior, she has established herself as an important member of the team. The awards that she has received prove this. Within two weeks of the start of the season, Hy was named Sunshine State Player of the Week, and she received the Defensive Player of the Week award — but she wants more.

“This season has been exciting and the good level of play displayed adds pressure to continue to do well,” said Hy. “Every practice must be taken seriously to continue to perform at a higher level in games, and as an individual I honestly believe there is room to keep growing.”

Despite receiving numerous awards, Hy said that there are aspects of her game that can always be improved.

“I continue to work hard in practice to improve my distribution, holding on to the ball, and one-on-one with forwards,” said Hy. “That is one of the reasons I am grateful for being a goalkeeper. You never stop growing and learning.”

Questions and Answers with Chrissy Hy

If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be?

“Definitely a cartoon character: Goofy! He is always laughing, acting clumsy and having fun.”

What would I find in your refrigerator right now?

“Not much, mostly eggs, and Ruby Tuesday leftovers.”

Which soccer game did you enjoy most in your career?

“My first game playing for NSU, that same afternoon I fell off my scooter. I came into the game and played one of the best games of my life. Later that week, I found out that I played the game with a torn PCL. I guess the adrenaline was pumping so much I didn’t feel pain at all.”

If you had the option of choosing one superpower, what would that be?

“I would choose to fly.”

If you won $20 million dol-lars, what would you do with the money?

“First of all, I wouldn’t tell anyone. I would get things I have always wanted, and give back plenty to my parents for putting up with me. Also, invite my closest friend to a long vacation around the world.”

How would you describe yourself in three words?

“The first word goofy, the second awesome, and the third cheerful.”