Miniskirts don’t equal mini-whores

Last month, conservative mayor of the Italian town Castellammare di Stabia, Luigi Bobbio, passed a law that made miniskirts and other “provocative outfits” illegal. And no, he didn’t go into detail about the latter. For all I know, my shirt that proclaims, “talk nerdy to me” could get me fined.

He also didn’t explain the definition of miniskirt. Is it a few inches above the Catholic school girl skirt or hooker length? Having worn skirts in a private school I can attest that it can be subjective — to a point.

Included in the ban was the bizarre outlaw of sunbathing in town and blasphemy and foul language in general. No sunbathing in town? From what I hear, wearing a bathing suit in the mountains isn’t very comfortable. And the last one, I don’t know about you, but I would be in jail everyday for that one.

Law-breakers are fined 500 Euros ($700). That’s a pretty steep penalty for playing outside, sunbathing or wearing a miniskirt when you go out to a club or curse. This is going to do wonders for their tourism. Can’t imagine why the rest of the country hasn’t hopped on-board with this sexist, wacky tourism-busting trend?

Don’t get me wrong. I’ve seen mini-skirts so short that I hope those women waxed. My gender can go overboard sometimes. But the feminist in me can’t help but get riled up by someone telling me what I can’t wear. Classifying all women who wear these types of skirts as “indecent” is offensive.

So, don’t tell me what I can’t wear, Mr. Mayor, and I won’t tell your wife that you’re cheating on her with a $1,000 a night hooker. Oh, wait. Did I just make a generalization about a group?

How does it feel, Mayor Bobbio?