Swimming and diving team excited to compete for SSC championship

From Feb. 15-18, both the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams will compete at the Sunshine State Conference championship in Clearwater, FL. The men will look to defend their conference crown, while the women hope to capture their first conference title in program history.

Hollie Bonewit-Cron, head coach, said she is proud of both teams’ performances and efforts. Although both teams are undefeated against conference opponents this season, she did not want to make any predictions for the SSC championship. However, she said both teams will give their all at the meet.

“Their performances are a result of their hard work, day in and day out, but it is their team unity and team pride that brings them together to achieve their goals of being undefeated,” she said. “Our swimmers have made a difference in their mindset this season, and they have supported each other throughout the entire season. I know they will continue those efforts at the conference meet.”

Jonas Grundstrom, senior swimmer, was excited to compete and support his teammates at the conference championship. Grundstrom said last season’s championship victory as one of the best days of his life.

“It was a great experience, because you work so hard together every day with your teammates. It was fun to get to win with them and share the joy of winning,” he said.

Erin Black, junior swimmer, transferred from Florida Gulf Coast University this past season and has already left her mark with NSU. She has been named SSC Swimmer of the Week four times and Counsilman Hunsaker National Swimmer of the Week twice. Despite these being individual awards, Black said, they are more of a reflection of the swimming program at NSU.

“I’m really excited that I can get my name out there for my team. I’m not used to getting all these things. It’s just so exciting to say I swim for Nova, and I’m so proud to be part of the team. It’s great,” said Black.

Black said she is anxious to get out there and swim in the upcoming meet.

“This is going to be really exciting because it’s my first year on the team, and there’s a bunch of new people on the team too, and we’re just really excited to get out there. The men are defending champs, but the women’s team – we’re really excited to show what we’re made of,” she said.