On The Bench: Scouting the Senior Bowl

Wondering who your favorite NFL team should draft come April? Well, on Jan. 28, you’ll have an opportunity to do your own scouting as the annual Senior Bowl, a game played by college football’s best seniors to show off their skills, will be played.

If you’re a football junkie, like me, then you’ll be viewing the practices with great interest as well, while soaking up the knowledge of the great Mike Mayock, NFL draft expert and analyst.

Now, since I’m a Dolphins fan, I’ll be looking at players who I believe the team should consider.

Let’s go ahead and start with the quarterback position. Unfortunately, the quarterback I most wanted to see was Ryan Tannehill, and he is going to miss the game due to injury. Brandon Weeden has all the physical tools to be great. However, he is 28 years old. Kellen Moore is undersized for a quarterback but extremely intelligent and a proven winner.

Watching Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, and Jimmy Graham dominate in the playoffs gave me some chest pains because the Dolphins could have drafted any of them. There are some intriguing prospects at the tight end position in this draft, and it would be folly not to select one. The tight end I want you to keep an eye on is Ladarius Green.

The team also needs a pass rusher to compliment Cam Wake. Courtney Upshaw is my personal favorite from the Senior Bowl participants, but Quinton Coples, Vinny Curry and Jake Bequette are some others to keep an eye on.

The safety position is weak in this draft but Mark Barron is the clear stud. If the Dolphins decide not to go in that direction, Markelle Martin might be a nice selection in a later round.

Although cornerback isn’t a pressing need, two confident guys I think would provide great value with later picks are Jamell Fleming and Brandon Boykin. An underrated running back I absolutely love is Doug Martin.

There are some great linebackers as well, such as Emmanuel Acho, Mychal Kendricks, Nigel Bradham, and Keenan Robinson. Both, Lavonte David and Zach Brown are monsters, but they’re too small to play in a 3-4 defense. A whole week of watching talented football players showing what they’re made of, it just doesn’t get any better than this.