Rock island: Interview with Mikey Carvajal of Islander

With the release of their debut album “Violence and Destruction,” new rock band Islander has been making major musical impressions in the rock community with their hit song “Coconut Dracula”, which has more than 180,000 views on YouTube. The band has even been called “a sick band with a CD full of great songs” by Korn guitarist Brian “Head” Welch. I spoke with lead singer Mikey Carvajal about the debut album and what can be expected in the future. Here’s what he had to say.

Can you tell me a little bit about your group?

“We’re called Islander. We started in 2011, and we play heavy, catchy rock music and we like to eat.

What do you guys like to eat?

“Everything and anything, or bass player is a vegetarian so no meat for him, but I like sushi we all like Mexican food. I’m Dominican so I like Dominican food.”

So do you like bachata and merengue?

“I like it. I can’t dance it. But I can eat the food.”

Where were you born?

“I was born in Greenville, South Carolina. But my whole family is from the Dominican Republic, but they moved to Queens, New York, and then moved down to South Carolina. Then my dad met my mom, learned to speak Spanish and here we are.”

Why do you call yourselves Islander?

“The guitar player was playing guitar one night and he saw a coaster for a beer called Islander IPA and we needed a band name, and he saw that and he was like, ‘Oh, Islander.’ He suggested it, and we didn’t like any other band name so we just picked that. We needed a band name and we didn’t want to be abbreviated so we just stuck with Islander.”

How did you meet your other group members?

“We grew up playing in bands together. I, literally, met every single player at shows, except for the bass player; I met him at an Olive Garden parking lot.”

Do you guys all mesh really well? Do you ever argue?

“That’d be false. I think if there’s any band out there that doesn’t argue, that’s an issue. We definitely argue like any other relationship; that’s normal. It’s five dudes living together in a van including our tour manager, who’s also my big brother, and, he knows how to push my buttons.”

What made you interested in rock music?

“Going back to my brother, growing up, he had all this music lying around his room. And at the time I didn’t like music. But he started taking me to shows, and the first show I went to was MxPx, and I hated it. Then when I was 13, he took me to see Quana Lakes and Peter D at a small pub where there was, like, 150 kids, and it was awesome. I guess that’s when I started liking music; something triggered in my brain. And from there, I started listening to all the CDs in my brother’s room, found the ones I liked and found the ones I didn’t like. And I like the band Zayo a lot; I like some pop music like J-Electric.”

How do your Christian roots affect your music?

“I have a world view of someone’s who has faith in Christ, so regardless of what I’m singing about, it’s going to be from the viewpoint of someone who has that faith. It’s not Christian music.”

How did you guys get signed to Victory Records?

“I Facebook messaged the artists and repertoire division. I sent him our demo, and he liked it and they brought us out two weeks later for our showcase. Then we had to get a contract and we signed it.”

Is “Violence and Destruction” your first album?

“This is our first debut album, but we’ve had a two other EPs.”

Do you have a favorite song on the album?

“I like all the songs. There are certain ones that are more fun to play live, like ‘Criminals’ and ‘Counteract.’ I guess some of the heavier stuff is fun live, but I do like all the songs. ‘Coconut Dracula’ — our first single was a really fun one.”

So can you tell a little about the concert coming up?

“We’re on tour with Nonpoint, 3 Years Hollow and Gemini Syndrome. Everyone can expect a fun rock show. We’re going to play a couple songs off the album and another old song.”

What are your future goals as a rock band?

“We would like to have a career and be able to keep our head above water and keep doing what we love. But, at the same time, we don’t have a three-year plan or anything. We’re just taking it as it goes.”

Is there anything you want your listeners to know about your band?

“Right now, we’re practicing and trying to get really good so when we come play for you guys we won’t suck.”